Floor plan change ideas & execution

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Omnimaqq23, 27th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Omnimaqq23

Omnimaqq23 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, new to the forums and have been browsing a bit.

I am currently thinking of adding a new room, bathroom and creating an ensuite to a bedroom downstairs to this IP that I own.
    Seeking some feedback or guidance on what can be improved.

I also understand if it's just new bathroom and walls then it's simply a matter of getting a CDC from a private certifier? Does anyone have good recommendations for a small job like this in Sydney?

Attached Files:

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Does it make sense to have a laundry upstairs? Wheres the clothesline?

This plan turns a 3/2 into a 4/3 with 4 big bedrooms but little living space. Its good for people who are in the bedrooms but it doesnt flow very well. There are no hallways and the lounge upstairs will end up with a narrow corridor between the stairs and the new bathroom.

Last edited: 27th Aug, 2019
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

That’s an awkward layout, and your ideas don’t improve it much.

To get a good result, the living area and kitchen/diner should be close. I would make Bed 1 the living room, bed 3 and laundry a family room with a cupboard laundry, then re-configure upstairs into 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

Of course, it all depends on what you are hoping to achieve in the long run (and your budget).

If you just want more bedrooms (renting by the room?) and go the easiest and cheapest option, it will come back to bite you when you come to sell. Yes, I know many people say are “never selling”, but life has a funny way of tossing curve balls into our carefully laid plans, and you should always consider resale as you never know when it may be necessary (or desirable to snap up a better option).

broc119 and wylie like this.
  4. Omnimaqq23

True - laundry could be moved to the current bathroom downstairs - clothesline is on ground floor.

The living area upstairs is too big and the current tenants aren't utilising this space at all. That's why the extra bedroom and bathroom to facilitate. Any way to make it flow better?

5. Trainee

The layout is long and narrow which doesnt help.

Enlarge the kitchen living by absorbing some of the space from bedroom 1?

Not much choice upstairs if you want an ensuite. That corridor is going to be very dark.

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Wow that is a shocker of an original floor plan.

I have similar thoughts to @Marg4000 . I'm trying to think of the cheapest way to improve it but it's hard as I'm not sure what your motivations and budget is

1. turn Bed 1 into living room. It doesn't have an ensuite so there is more to gain by creating good flow from the kitchen/meals and making all the living downstairs.
    2. remove laundry but leave bathroom downstairs as is - it can become ensuite to new master bedroom at rear
    3. put an open area next to the stairs where you have nominated the new bathroom
    4. Put a 3.4m x 3ish m bedroom in the upstairs area next to the new bedroom at the front.
    5. you'll need to find space to put a cupboard laundry somewhere perhaps make the master smaller and put it under the stairs.

20190827_090947.jpg

broc119, craigc, Rugz06 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Omnimaqq23

That makes a lot of sense - 4 rooms and 2 bathrooms on level 1 seems crammed and smaller rooms? Bed 1 can be turned into living room definitely to make it more flowing.

I guess I went with the cheapest option given budget and don't really want to get it through a DA instead of CDC?

8. Trainee

Isnt that upstairs bathroom going to cost more if its not above the downstairs bathroom / laundry?

9. Omnimaqq23

I quite like this layout actually. Gives the flow needed downstairs but doesn't make too many arrangements that'll blow the budget

10. Omnimaqq23

Ahhh that's right - thats why I stacked it like that in the first place (I knew there was a reason). The house is just an awkward layout tbh

What's the rule of thumb cost for a standard bathroom? 5-8k?

11. Westminster

I put it there because it makes sense flow wise - but yes it would be cheaper over the other spot. I'm not in charge of budgets - I'm in charge of making things work :p

craigc and Marg4000 like this.
  12. Westminster

20190827_090947.jpg

Brady likes this.
  13. Omnimaqq23

Haha thanks you understood

14. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

That latest plan looks like a winner!

Well done, @Westminster

The good news is that it could be easily implemented in stages as the budget allows.

15. Omnimaqq23

Yup that's the winner - can change it in stages, maybe the upper living to room conversion and adding bathroom first, see how it goes and then when time to sell, get the flowing living room and other rooms up to speed

16. Omnimaqq23

Just wanted to update this - got a draftsman to draw it up and here's the final for the upstairs - I think it's nearly there except I don't want a bath and also could be arranged such that the bath / plumbing is close(r) to the bathrooms downstairs.

Attached Files:

17. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Sorry I am missing something? Where is the bath? I only see the oversized shower in draft attached.

18. Omnimaqq23

Haha yes! I thought that was a bath given its size my bad. Need to put my glasses on.

In other news, my draftsman thinks there's no need to arrange the bathroom configuration and running the pipes will be easy - I always thought it's easier when it's closer...

craigc likes this.
  19. Omnimaqq23

I just finished renovating this house after 8 weeks; and after a million changes, I was curious what the great brains of PC had suggested previously....and lo and behold, @Westminster you are bang on with this floor plan, how funny! :D

Stoffo and Westminster like this.
  20. Westminster

Got any photos? I'd love to see it in the flesh how it turned out