Floor Advice

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by neK, 6th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. neK

neK Well-Known Member

What flooring to use?

Original thought, use tiles, however the cost of tiling over existing floorboards isn't cheap.

Polish the floorboards, however the previous owner stuck the tiles straight onto the floor. Some places look ok, others don't. In addition, we came across what appears to be a large chunk on concrete. It is where the kitchen is going, however its 2.6m wide 1.3m deep. Kitchen cabinets are 580mm deep.

Laying bamboo flooring. Not sure how much this will cost.

Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I would glue and nail down fibro sheets and then retile over the top. $300 in materials. Easiest option in my opinion.

I wouldnt want to try and restore those floor boards...

3. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Bamboo flooring will cost $55 sqm..supply n install.

4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

BeDeveloper, do you have any recommendations for guys in Sydney?

5. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Sent you a PM!

neK likes this.
  6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Thanks BeDeveloper!

So you reckon Bamboo is the best option here?
    For some reason i thought tiling was 30 per sqm.... totally wrong about that one. Quotes have been around $52-60 per sqm (and that just for laying). Still got to pay for tiles.

7. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Really depends on your preference!

You can get cheap tiles from TFO...get a smaller size, so it can be cheaper to lay them.

Most of labour will go in to removing existing glue n a then skirting and laying.(if you want to get it done properly)

8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Ebay!

Attached Files:

9. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Yet another mess to natural timber floors (shame) bugger of a job to bring back but it's possible if you have the time/desire. Hire a sander from coates etc, you only have to do the minimal that will show after the cabinets have been installed, should only take an hour, then bring it up with a nice finish.

Can't see the concrete in the pics but at a guess looking at the old fibro wall it possibly once had a wood fire cooker in there. If the new cabinets aren't going to cover it another option (other than whats above) would be to step it up by laying a new floor on batons.

Actually you could possibly rip up the old boards and turn them over.

10. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Floor1.jpg, that's the pic of the concrete. I tried scraping it tonight hoping it was just a layer and there was floorboard underneath, no such luck.

Unfortunately, it sticks out about 1300mm... too much for the cabinet. :(
    One idea was to scrape off enough concrete to put in a small about of timber to cover up to the cabinet and then polish the floor boards again. Not sure how much that would cost though.

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

If it's a rental, just chuck down some good old lino ;)

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Just for future reference, Tile Factory Outlet have some great prices on tiles. I've often bought left over or older stock tiles for a fraction of the price.

https://www.tfo.com.au/

13. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

What I'd do on smooth concrete surface, doesn't always work well on timber unless sanded back and no nails heads or holes etc, if going to the trouble of sanding back/filling there are other options.
    If you look under the house it may go down to the ground, as said perhaps an old wood cooker used to sit on it (heavy buggers) however it could just be a small supported slab, you'd have to get under the house to have a look, if just a small slab you could smash it out with a sledge hammer (or jack hammer low enough if solid) you could then pinch a section of boards from where the cabinets will sit (replace/fill holes with marine ply) to fill what wont be covered by the cabinets.

In the end if the slab is left, and protruding sufficiently above the remaining floor surface, you'll have to build a new floor over the current which could mean a small step from old to new floor, either-way there's a bit of labor involved.

14. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@Azazel Its a PPoR, so no cheap ass vinyl :)

@WestOz I was thinking of scraping back the concrete and laying new floorboards in that space... but im guessing it would hard to level like that wouldn't it.

My sister originally wanted to tile, but @ $52 per sqm + cost of tile, it is a bit pricey.

I'll check my sister to check out TFO and see what is available.

15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Oh god, definitely not. Some of the vinyl tiles look alright, but go for something fancy in your own place for sure.

16. bob shovel

You would be better the take out more concrete - up to 200mm and match the joists and then flooring, easier to get the levels matching.

Hire a jack hammer and go nuts, doesn't need to be pretty. Couple hours work to break the conc

and being ppor, pull out some extra timbers around the whole so your not just filling the square area, blend it in so it hides it. Find a scrap building materials place that might have similar timbers if needed to match the vintage, I'm not to sure about matching timber, but believe they stain different

Last edited: 7th Aug, 2015
  17. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@bob shovel Would that be cheaper than tiling or getting bamboo flooring ? We still have to pay someone to polish regardless.

18. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Not sure how you'd scrape concrete down to a lower level, Hulk say Smash!

One thing I thought of (if cabinets haven't already been ordered), how would you go installing a corner pantry (or sim) in that corner? They sit out further than standard base cabinets, could possibly cover the concrete.

Personally as natural timber is there I'd go for that (imagine the cost to have it installed these days), cost to bring it up vs prep & install of another material will be comparable, comes down to preference.

I don't know what the floor and level is outside the kitchen however keep in mind anything you install on top of the kitchen floor boards (if) will make it higher therefore may require a step up/down (trip hazard). As there was previously tiles, there may already be a step.

Matching timber isn't easy, if not exact it will stand out but can also add character, however the boards under the cabinets wont be viewable so can be used to fill the gap the knocked out concrete will leave.

Keep any left overs in-case you find other patching is required throughout the house if carpets etc are removed, i.e. where an old fire place sat etc.

19. bob shovel

IM with west oz. Go timber, match it as close as possible. Once fixed and all sanded and polished it may stand out only slightly, won't affect the Val which is main thing! Put a rug down if you want!:p

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia