Flood damage claim

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by henry_ip, 1st Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. henry_ip

henry_ip Well-Known Member

If your investment property in brisbane was flooded and the wall was damaged by water , what is the proper step to increase your chance of successful claim?

There are some tips we hv found:

Take photos or videos of any damaged items and buildings.

Make a list of all the damage with as much detail as you can.

Don’t dispose of any items unless you have to because it is a hazard – but before you do, make sure you document everything and try to get the insurer’s consent to dispose of those items.

Try and document this with photos, invoices and evidence of any directives from council or local emergency services. If you do not do this, the insurer may reject any claims arising out of subsequent damage because of this.

Sorry just want to ask, is this something the property manager can do ? or landlords should better do it themselves?

go and inspect the property and document the damages?

Tom Rivera likes this.
  2. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

1.Check the area / building is safe?
    eg. no wet electrics.

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I'm going through this right now..
    First find out if your tenants are ok as if the property is safe as depending on the area and flood levels the water levels are still high,but your property manager should be able to sort out the tenants ..
    Next contact your insurance as soon as possible ..
    Once you have a claim number then the dice start rolling ..
    Don't access the property till it's safe,and it's sorted by the property manager and both you the tenants and property manager are on the same page that's your job not the insurer.If the tenants still have the possessions inside be very careful how you and your PM approach the removal of their gear..
    As long as you have insurance then it's just a step by step process..
    Just a quick question,what is the property location, and who are you covered by insurances wise..

The Y-man likes this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I lodged an online claim for my MIL and during an online chat it was mentioned that as she lost more than ten items, an assessor will be sent out.

We have photos of everything before it was dragged to the footpath, and during the online chat it was suggested we take photos of the items sitting on the footpath before they are collected to be dumped so she can prove what was done yesterday, that they are in fact ready to be collected.

There were utilities roaming around looking for salvageable items yesterday, just like council cleanup. I'm not against that either. Better for someone to make use of something or do it up and re-sell it than to just dump it all.

Last edited: 1st Mar, 2022
    The Y-man, Marg4000 and gman65 like this.
  5. Nathan J

Nathan J Well-Known Member

Just jumping in to urge any Landlords to make the commencement of an insurance claim a priority for your tenants. Property Managers are often clueless in these situations.

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I want to add to keep samples of what was removed if it is minor damage. In my mother's unit, the carpets and underlay needed to be pulled up and dumped so we were asked by Insurance Co to keep a piece of damaged carpet (yuk - we stored it in the outside garden shed) so insurance can see it if they want to. I took many photos and also spoke into videos to explain where the water came from and where it went with visual evidence.