NSW Flight paths over Sydney North Shore

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Greggielocs, 30th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Greggielocs

Greggielocs Member

We're looking to buy our home in the St Ives, Turramurra / Warawee / Wahroonga area.

Yesterday I read this article about the potential Western Sydney airport flight paths, which appeared not long after I'd been researching the flight paths of the current Sydney airport.

From these charts, it seems that our favoured areas will be at the intersection of flight paths from both airports (wind direction dependent of course, noting thought that the prevailing wind direction of Sydney is northeasterly).

I'm wondering though if anyone has any idea how much of an impact flights do / could have in my listed areas? Would the planes, when they fly over the Upper North Shore area, be too high to have an noise impact? Do any of you live currently in these areas and are able to comment on how much aircraft noise has an impact (outside of the current covid flight restrictions).
    TIA.
    WSydneyAirport.jpg
    Sydney airport.jpg

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If it's more than 20km from an airport I don't think that you'd notice.

Greggielocs likes this.
  3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I don't think that'll be an issue for you at all.

Greggielocs likes this.
  4. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

I’ve lived in turramurra , Warrawee , Wahroonga , Pymble , Killara and Roseville . On the east side and west side .

yes , you do occasionally hear planes , but dogs barking , lawns being mowed and the sound of a storm are louder

Western Sydney airport is further away I think .

cliff

Greggielocs, MWI and Stoffo like this.
  5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

We live in Sutherland, am pretty sure that if you live within 50klm of the airport you will hear planes.
    The flight path's are varied regularly (possibly due to wind, or maybe a rotation), but I can always pick a plane running late for their landing "slot" at syd, they bank and fly over the National park between Loftus-Engadine with a real boom as they accelerate toward the ocean (only to turn left over the water to land).
    I notice planes when in Wahroonga, but not as much.
    Sure, if it worries you then definitely dont go live in Marrickville !!!!
    It is the modern world (even after Covid).

Greggielocs likes this.
  6. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

We don't run late for landing slots but traffic pending we'll be given track shortening from a waypoint called RIVET (or even before) direct to to a 10Nm final for RWY34L which takes the track over the national park. Standard Arrival Routes (STARs) are published and will generally be the traffic flow with all aircraft slowed to 250kts or less under 10,000ft unless speed waivers are given pending traffic congestion.

I can also assure that we're not accelerating at that point either! Most airlines limit speed to 250kts below 5000ft and 210kts below 3000ft so speed reductions over the national park are occurring. It takes approximately 7Nm to slow a 65 ton jet from nominal descent speed to config speed, in level flight and generally at this point we're descending. In either case, there is a "not below" altitude of 6000ft basically over the Shire meaning that we don't commence descent until we've passed this. This does two things - firstly, it means idle thrust which minimises engine noise, and secondly, ensures noise distribution is higher based on altitude.

The runway configurations is predominantly determined by wind, second to noise sharing in light winds. Occasionally Sydney ATC will run a runway config called SODPROPS (Simultaneous Opposite Direction Parallel Runway Operations) but only in persistent light winds. This means that aircraft take off to the south and land to the north on opposing runways.

From the northern perspective you won't notice much in the way of approach as most aircraft are at idle thrust decelerating by Turramurra. On departure to the north, all SIDs (Standard Instrument Departures) take up tracks to the NW after take off from 34L and through the heads on 34R meaning little to no departure noise on a northern config.

If you're wondering how I know all this, listen to our Podcast in our signature below to find out ;)

- Andrew

Last edited: 30th Mar, 2021
  7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

@Simon Hampel can I double like such a detailed reply to a post ?

I guess @MyPropertyPro does a LOT of aerial survey and due diligence from high above...

Greggielocs and MyPropertyPro like this.
  8. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Only a few days a month on “days off” these days by choice. Some people take a Cessna on a scenic for fun, I just amp it up a bit :D

- Andrew

9. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Give us a wave on your way past :cool:
    Cheers :D

Attached Files:

10. Greggielocs

Greggielocs Member

Ha ... that's exactly what I thought after I'd read it the 3rd time to take in all the detail.

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

MyPropertyPro likes this.
  11. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

Only closer to the landing pad would be an issue as plane is flying low

Greggielocs likes this.
  12. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

How often do flight paths change? In my old apartment (Burwood NSW) about 15 years back I remembered been annoyed by the occasional plane flying overhead while trying to watch TV. One day it just stopped.

If flight paths change semi regularly (I could be completely wrong about this btw) then maybe there's no need to fret about them? But maybe my change was very rare? I don't know...

Last edited: 31st Mar, 2021
  13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Tempe and St Peters, the aircraft noise is a major negative. I wouldn’t worry about it at all for the North shore.

Greggielocs likes this.
  14. No_Limits

No_Limits Well-Known Member

I've lived at Turramurra. The planes were so high as to barely be noticeable. I'm sensitive to noise but couldn't have cared less about those planes.

Greggielocs likes this.
  15. No_Limits

No_Limits Well-Known Member

One place I looked for IP's was around that Arncliffe - Tempe - Marrickville area. I know you don't buy IP's for yourself, but I just couldn't do it with the plane noise.

Now on the lower north shore - no real plane noise here, they are high and to the west of us.

Greggielocs likes this.
  16. eclr35

eclr35 New Member

I currently live in the upper north shore near Turramurra/Warrawee on the east side. You do hear the planes but its not deafening.

I have friends living in St Ives and East Killara and they dont have this issue.

Greggielocs likes this.
  17. Greggielocs

Greggielocs Member

Thanks, good to hear feedback from those living in these areas.