Flaking ceiling paint and cornice

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Johnny Cashflow, 20th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Hey guys currently painting a house I bought to rent out in the new year.

It needs mostly cosmetic work and one new ceiling in the bathroom

I have scraped the ceiling and and washing with sugar soap. I will then fill it with "smooth coat" filler and sand and paint.

I am not sure what to do about cornice though. The paint is flaking off back to plaster. I have scraped it but now it has all different levels where the paint was and looks pretty bad .

I can't fill this with filler obviously.

Will a few coats of ceiling white make this look ok? I don't want to replace cornice. As it is not worth it being Elizabeth

image.jpeg

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

The house I'm painting at the moment has this all the way through - I literally pulled sheets of paint of the wall in my living room, and in an effort to not have to go through that in the toilet and bathroom I used a stanley knife to cut as much loose stuff away as possible, sand back, and if you don't want to fill it just paint over it. It won't look perfect (it will look like the V-shape you can see in the lower half of the pic, only prob a bit better if you sand it) but for a cheap house it's better than completely replacing the cornice.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Give it a light sand to wear away the rough edge of the paint, prep and paint.

Last edited: 22nd Dec, 2015
    Gockie and bob shovel like this.
  4. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

I would fill the edges using a corking gun and 'no more gaps' then give a light sand to get rid of and high edges. If the cornice has dropped you might be able to squeeze some cornice cement or liquid nails inbetween the cornice and ceiling and push it back up.

Get a decent primer for the parts where you are back to plaster otherwise it will just suck layer after layer of paint in and make the ceiling look patchy.

Have you used a head gun to get as much of the peeling paint off as possible?

EDIT: Just looking at that picture again I can see a fair gap between paint and cornice, you need to use a heat gun to peel the paint away as far as it can go. You will get to a point where the heat won't lift anymore paint and that is where you use filler to smooth the paint edge. You have to be careful not to scorch the ceiling with the gun.

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Check the roof.
    Flaking paint is sometimes an indication of water penetration.
    Marg

bob shovel likes this.
  6. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Our cornices were so beyond repair in one IP we replaced them in the end, as the labour required to sand, fill, repaint simply wasn't worth it. The painter also told us as they'd been painted with the wrong type of paint (gloss) it would be false economy. Perhaps get a couple of quotes for replacement first?

7. Johnny Cashflow

Thanks for reply. It is even worth trying to save this ceiling? I washed it sugar soap. 2 hours later it's flaking even more and I can see lots of little cracks where the paint is coming away

image.jpeg
    image.jpg

8. Johnny Cashflow

Opinions?

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Nov, 2016
  9. Tim & Chrissy

The only way to fix it is a heat gun. I had a ceiling that had damaged paint on it due to an oil burner. I used the heat gun to remove as much paint as possible (about 70% of the ceiling) and used poly filler on the remaining paint edges and sanded.

After I paint on a coat of primer and a couple of coats of ceiling white.

It will take you a solid day but do you honestly want to go to through the time and expense of replastering the ceiling? I don't think any plasterers will be rushing out for the job this close to Christmas either

10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I scraped a whole lounge room them realised it was water damage. Fun times!

Do as Scott said, light sand and an undercoat of some kind. Don't make more work for yourself, no one looks at ceilings anyway! As long as it's white and use a flat paint to hide the scars ;)

Scott No Mates likes this.
  11. Johnny Cashflow

I just don't want to fill all the gaps sand and paint to know it will flake off again.

So your saying just to get as much loose paint as possible and then paint with primer and then ceiling white? No filling with smooth coat?

12. Tim & Chrissy

The heat gun will remove all of the loose paint plus more so you shouldn't have a flaking problem for years to come.

You need to use filler on the paint edges and feather at into the plaster so its seemless.

Then paint the ceiling with primer undercoat and paint.

The job I did is going on 6 years and no flaking

13. bob shovel

Is it just the one room?
    Fillers will make it look better but if you want it done and tenanted just scrap and paint.
    You can see the last time it was painted they did that.
    If the whole room is like that I'd be ripping it out and new gyprock, easier than fillers imo :)

14. Tim & Chrissy

Just scraping won't work, as soon as the wet paint hits the sections that have cracked the weight of the fresh pain will pull it down, also any sections with air bubbles that haven't cracked yet will crack with the pressure of the paint roller.

Trust me, I'm speaking from a long frustrating experience :)

15. Johnny Cashflow

I've got no problem putting the filler do I just give a light sand after?

16. Tim & Chrissy

Yeah just make your filler as smooth as possible and sand with a fine grit sand paper

17. Tim & Chrissy

Not sure if this will work posting from mobile:
    Type 'How to strip paint using a heat gun' if it doesn't work.
    this HTML class. Value is

18. bob shovel

I'd rather just re-sheet it than bog it up. You'll end up bogging everywhere.
    The problem is still there, so after a few years where it hasn't been bogged up will start to peel off

19. Tim & Chrissy

If it's really bad/wasn't primed initially it will all come off with the heat gun in a few hours. Resheeting will mean recornicing as well and thats a nightmare as a one man job.

@Johnny Cashflow just burn the house down. No one will ever know, you were at Penrith Panthers with @bob shovel and I when it happened ;)

20. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I can't imagine doing a whole room with a heat gun! I'm doing my bathroom as we speak and the stuff is peeling off in sheets. The plaster is like chalk underneath - it seems as though it wasn't sealed properly from the start.

Will using a primer work in that instance? It's not plasterboard, it's the stuff they put straight on the bricks.