Fixing this shower on the cheap?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Jmillar, 28th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

Hi all,

One of my properties has this issue in the shower of the ensuite bathroom. The tenant hasn't used the shower since they moved in and I've just become aware of it now!

I've had quotes to do a complete new shower of over $3,000 which seems really expensive! There is a chance I'll sell the house, in which case I'll do a new bathroom and some other renos, but otherwise I'd really like to avoid spending that much money as the house is only worth circa $300k.

I've heard of a product called MegaSealed. Just wondering if anyone has used this product (or similar) and think this could be a cheaper solution?

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Thanks

EDIT; Property is in Logan area.

[​IMG]

2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

You should be able to get a shower base and first row re-tile and waterproof for about 1500-2000

A hydrobarrier like megasealed wont do stuff all for that, its too far gone

Tom Rivera and Propertunity like this.
  3. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I see I'm not the only slumlord here!

4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

If this is on a slab,then 3k would only be the start ..

Tom Rivera likes this.
  5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

$3K would be cheap. Mega Seal would not be suitable for the bathroom shower shown in that picture. It does not last long (in my experience) in showers in better condition than that shown.

6. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Megasealed is the company name, not a product. And they basically do regrouting with an epoxy. That shower is bad. You have to do something with it. Hope the house isn’t on stumps or your tenants will go through the floor one day.

7. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I think Megasealed charge 750-1500 just for their regrouts and epoxy. If your selling the house in the future why not start doing it up starting with the bathroom now then you will have less work to do later. Longer u leave it more damage it does to adjacent rooms and flooring. You wait til you pull the sheeting behind the tiles off. Timber studs will probably be rotten through.

wylie likes this.
  8. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Thats pretty unsightly. Id pull that tile out. Waterproof 2 coats . Re-tile.

wylie likes this.
  9. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Good grief, 3k seems a bargain. I'd be amazed if it stays that cheap. Expect to have to spend more to fix it properly.

wylie and housechopper2 like this.
  10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

11. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

We just used this product recently and it turned out to be very hard to work with.

The problem is that the sheets are only 2mm think and as such are rather flimsy. You then need to glue them to the walls and this is when the problems start - slipping and sliding.

Have used the thicker and more rigid shower walls with no problems but this product was just c...p.

Coming back to the bathroom agree with Euro remove tiles fix walls waterproof and re tile.

12. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

13. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

If you’re spending $3k anyways I’d Reno the whole bathroom and get it over with.

wylie, Tom Rivera, hematite and 2 others like this.
  14. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

That shower looks like death. If its anything like the rest of the place then a serious rethink about reno prior to sale may be needed. The screen, walls, floor are all beyond life. These sorts of issues are gimme for a buyer who wants to make some $$$ when you get no offers and low balled.

The shower would be leaking into framing and subfloor like the titanic. Pest inspection may also find ants eating the rest.

15. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Rip it out, start again.

wylie likes this.
  16. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I was thinking that it had low ball written all over it. I hate to think how much it will cost to fix the property but it's got to be more than 3k.

Paul@PAS likes this.
  17. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Is there any reason that a full tear-out and replace uneconomical (i.e. future development site)? By the time you fix that properly, you may as well have updated the bathroom.

wylie, hobartchic and Jmillar like this.
  18. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

Hi Tom, unsure of what the future of the property is for me and whether it belongs in my portfolio long term. But I think it will be there for some time, so I'm getting quotes for a full bathroom renovation as well, and might go down this path.

Thanks

19. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

Wow, no wonder I'm not as well off as some off here, my tenants all live in better conditions than I do!!

As above if your wanting to repair on the cheapish, remove shower base and install a polymarble, then re tile the walls, 3k sounds very reasonable, but as Jess mentioned if your spending this much you may as well do the lot.

20. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

It makes the decision a bit harder if it's not a longer term prospect. The biggest concern is that whatever fix you approve -that isn't a full tear down-. doesn't hold. It's a bit of a gamble.