Fixing stuff when tenants not at home

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by giraffez, 26th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

My tenant needs something fixed but apparently they won’t be home for a few days. I asked for it to be rescheduled but they have requested it to be fixed while they are away. So the agent just told me to get the trademan to pick up the keys from the rental office and let himself in.

Frankly I’m not comfortable with this approach. I don’t want anyone in the property unattended in case there are any disputes with breakages or loss items. Is this common for agents to just give tradies the keys to the property? Because the response I got from the agent feels like what’s the big deal and that this is regularly done this way. Surely I’m not being overly paranoid here to let a stranger into a tenanted house without them being there.

I’ve asked the agent to oversee the fix and be in their presence while it’s done- is that the right thing to do?

2. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

I'd definitely expect the agent to be in attendance here- it's not unreasonable at all.

giraffez likes this.
  3. James90

James90 Well-Known Member

Very common,
    I’m an electrician and would go into 100’s of properties a year without anyone being there. No issues to date.

Codie, Joynz, thatbum and 6 others like this.
  4. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

It is very common for agents to allow tradespeople to carry out repairs while tenants are not at the premises. This only occurs if the tenants have given written approval for this to happen.

A good agent will inform the tenant of who the tradesperson is, contact numbers, email addresses etc and when they are going to the property. The agent should also record the date/time that keys were picked up from the agency and the date/time that the keys are returned.

A tradesperson would not want to tarnish his/her reputation by doing anything untoward while at the property.

Finally, many updated/modern Management Agency Agreements don't provide for the agent supervising repairs as part of their service. In years gone by, older versions of the Management Agency Agreement had an additional fee (on top of the management fee) for 'Arrangement and Supervision of repairs/renovations'

Joynz, giraffez and Stoffo like this.
  5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

You may be the landlord (and possibly footing tbe bill) but it really isn't an issue for you.

The PM organizes a trade to attend, tenant say's to PM "I won't be there, give them access" , so if anything goes wrong it is on the tradie/tenant/PM as you are not directly involved ;)

Joynz, jared7825 and giraffez like this.
  6. giraffez

I think it works both ways. The tenants could have misplaced something and suddenly claim something is missing after the repair. It may not be intentional but these things do happen.

in this case it would be hard to argue for anyone and I don’t want to be in that position to

Phoenix Pete likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Then risk lies with the agent & tradie sad the point of contact - the tenant will need to lodge a report with the police if they're serious & with their insurers.

jared7825 and giraffez like this.
  8. giraffez

The tradie is one that I organised, not the agent's tradie, does this change the situation?

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Just make sure that the subbie is insured.

Check what your landlord's insurance covers.

10. giraffez

That's what I'm trying to avoid in the first place - having any unnecessary liability in the process.

I just don't quite comprehend why anyone would trust a stranger into their house without their presence. I personally wouldn't let anyone into my home without anyone being home but it sounds like this is pretty common practice. I asked a few friends and they are also share my thoughts.

If i was a tradie, I would also refuse servicing anyone's home without them being present to avoid situations like this.

Would you hand the keys of your house over to a stranger?

11. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Yes I would in this context. More importantly, the tenant has requested it.

I really don't see much of a problem, practically or legally.

12. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Trade contractors you use should always be appropriately licenced if applicable, and insured for PI & PL, entry notice given to the Tenants, contractor either picks up keys or has agreed with Tenants a time to be let in. Unless there is something specific the Lessor/Agent needs to point out or explain, seldom to they attend as well.

Phoenix Pete likes this.
  13. giraffez

Thank you all

Michael Mitchell and Stoffo like this.