Fixing hole in concrete tank

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Allgood, 15th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Ok, this is a farmy type question but I know there are lots of clever builder/fix it people here so I thought I'd ask...

We have big concrete water tank that has a tap at the bottom with a tap on it. We've never used the tap but I guess it would be handy if we ever wanted to drain the tank. I noticed this evening that the cows (god love 'em have snapped the tap off and obviously drained the tank. I thought I could just buy another fitting and screw it in, but they've cleverly ripped part of the old thread out as well so its basically stuffed.

I was going to get a guy i know to try and weld a plate over it (attached to the remaining rim of the pipe. Now Im thinking the best solution is to fill the hole with a concrete mix or product but not sure what to use. I reckon its probably 1inch 1/4 in diameter. Im thinking along the lines of inserting some sort of backing (carboard etc like you sometimes do when you fill a plaster hole) and then plugging it with something that is obviously waterproof and hard drying.

I know in the past one of our tanks received a nasty gash from being hit by lightening and it was repaired better than new. Not sure what was used though.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. No Probs

No Probs Well-Known Member

Ferropre fixes everything! I'd give that a go.

3. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Use a small steel brush to brush away any loose concrete/dirt in and around the hole area. Make sure the area is dry and free of any dust particles by wiping down with a damp cloth. Use this epoxy product to fill the hole.

Selleys Knead It Aqua - Epoxy Putty

It is made for underwater applications and hardens in about half an hour. Once fully cured, can be drilled, cut or sanded. Most importantly, it can be used in tanks that hold drinking water.

Hope that helps. :)

KayTea and 158 like this.
  4. Laker

Laker Well-Known Member

I second ferropre or jenco. They're a 2 part epoxy quite often used by plumbers.

5. Allgood

Great, thanks so much. I'll give them a go and report back!

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Also check that it won't taint potable water.

7. Allgood

Do you think the above products will be okay to fill a hole of that size?

@Scott No Mates its only stock water so it shouldnt be a drama, thanks.

8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Can you climb inside safely? Best to do it from the inside to "plug" it.
    I've never used those products above so can't comment but there are other products out there. You could call parchem for advice they probably have some thing sold at bunnings these days. You want a good bond to the tank. I have used vandex plug and water stop and also when building concrete tanks/walls you use "z bars" and once you strip the form work you use a cone shaped plug and epoxy grout adhesive to seal. I can't remember all the names but that may be getting to technical anyway.
    Check the data sheets on the products and they should tell max thickness and surface prep etc

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You're just as likely to get something suitable from your agricultural produce supplier who stocks irrigation supplies.

10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Poly, gal tanks are cheap as chips. My mate just put his poly inside the concrete tank and its protected from UV and impacts. Local co-op will have the products for you if you want to fix it from inside though. Google concrete water tank repair and you will find the products also

11. Allgood

Hi guys,
    So I filled the hole with Selley's Aqua Knead It as suggested on here by some and it worked a treat. Thanks so much for everyone's advice.

12. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

That's great. Glad it worked. :)

Allgood likes this.
  13. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Are the cows happy

14. Allgood

Yep, they're over the moooooooooooooo-n

bob shovel likes this.