Fixing drummy tiles

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Frenchie, 16th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Frenchie

Frenchie Well-Known Member

Hi

What's the best way to fix 1sqm of drummy tiles? One of them is moving slightly and it will crack...

It seems some companies can inject epoxy from holes in the grout - anyone done that and is it good value? It is appealing as some of the tiles are half under cabinetry and cannot be pulled / laid again.

If you have recommendations of tilers in Melbourne inner burbs it would be great.
    Thanks!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's probably cheaper to remove and relay new tiles. Might be time to update the room.

Frenchie likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Injecting under the tiles is pretty futile. I tried the Shalex stick it product and it was a waste of time. Its surprising how much needs to be used and its basically just PVA glue. Typically expansion is already pushing the tiles up and even the fixed cabinery could be playing a part with movement and this will continue.If its a small patch its easy to have them removed and relaid before any break.

Frenchie likes this.
  4. Frenchie

Unfortunately redoing the bathroom will be a big job and it's pretty recent so not really an option for me. But pretty sure the tiles could be removed and re laid without damage yes

5. Frenchie

I saw this which is warrantied
    Drummy Tiles - TRIM

Unsure if the cost stacks compared to re-tiling a small area but I'll try to get a quote just in case