Fixing deck

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Beelzebub, 15th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

i recently purchased an IP with a large outdoor decking area. On top of this deck sits a hot water service.

The weight from the HotelTravel service has bowed the deck bearers and the deck has probably concaved around the 50ml plus mark.

The tenants have kids that play on this deck and my preference is that the thing doesn't collapse on them while they are on it. Mind you the tenant hasn't said anything about it, even though it looks very dangerous (she did request a new letterbox though).

I'm looking for cost effective solutions to fix the problem. My ideas are 1. Move the hot water system and fix the deck. 2. Get a re-stumper out to raise and reinforce the deck under the hot water unit.

Thoughts?

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

No one ever does till you get the phone call from the insurance companies legal people,a very simple way as there are children playing in a unsafe area would be to strap the "HWS" into the wall by 2-3 gal heavy gauge straps ,that way the unit will stay in place,and just jack up the deck and plate in the 50mm fall,but the first cab off the rank would be too make the unit safe,if it falls over hot water outlets break and the unit elecs combine it may ens in tears on both sides..imho..

3. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Do you have much access under the deck. If you do I would just jack it up and dig a couple of holes as far as you can, probably atleast 600mm deep and concrete a couple of treated pine support posts in. Do you have pics

bob shovel likes this.
  4. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Yep, thanks Brian, that would probably be possible, plenty of space. How much would you expect that to cost?

5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Get the letterbox sorted ASAP.

bob shovel likes this.
  6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Good idea @Brian84
    Labour would be the biggest cost, they may get you for minimum 4 hours depending on your guy.
    Then just materials, depends how high and what you've got to work with but say 100 buckeroos
    Screenshot_2015-09-15-15-59-10.jpg

Brian84 likes this.
  7. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Depending how high the deck is. Bob has listed the material above to use. So say 2 of those posts max $80, 4 bags on concrete $30, bugle screws or bolts for fixing posts to bearers $15-20, labour say 4 hrs max if they charge a min time on site (some tradies do, some don't) $50/hr+GST =$220. So all up it shouldn't be more than $350.