Fixed rates are going to increase

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Redom, 20th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
  2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

You are getting way to emotional me thinks. :D:p...

I am talking to guys who are doing mortgage pricing at the Big 4 banks. They are all going to reprice variable rates 20-30 basis points.... so unless you locked in we will see the end of rates under 2.5% P&I for new customers. Add to that another say 1.5-2.5% and it is done. The fixed rates are canaries on the coal mine sought to speak....very soon they will be more than variable rates if the current trajectory continues at that point...variable rates will be moved independent of RBA by the banks.

Never said that it would stay there for long....but by then the damage is done...lets see shall we.

As I said make hay whilst the sun shines. ....made Lemonade when you are handed Lemons. ;) Dems how to roll......

To me this property game is just a game of monopoly....:)

3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I don't like the chances of massive rent increases in Sydney/Melbourne maybe in undervalued units...but no major increases.

Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide have a different issue...and they will go up a lot.

4. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Who in this forum have prepared for the per-pademic back to normal interest rates?
    4 to 5% being the normal pre-2020?

Post your strategy and how to risk mitigation?
    Sell?
    Hold?
    Fix interest rate?
    Debt recycling?

Thank you!

5. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

A mix of fixing rates and debt recycling

6. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I am.

I was perfectly fine at 5%, and since rates were at 5% I've only taken on an extra $400k in debt, which should be offset by the fact that my rents have grown quite strongly.

Gen-Y likes this.
  7. bill_murray

bill_murray Member

Interesting that banks are keeping fixed rates low for the 12 months. Is this a sign to you variable rates on the rise also? Banks locking clients in for low 12 month fix rates with the hope of retaining the client on a much high variable rate in 12 months time.

Have you seen any movement on variable rates? I have a feeling variable rates will start to slowly float on an upward trend very shortly.

8. William Oor

William Oor Active Member

I am currently looking at refinancing a home loan, and was planning to stay with a variable rate. I will now research fixed rate options or a mix.

9. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 8.31.11 am.png Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 8.31.27 am.png

Brickbybrick, Redwing and ParraEels like this.
  10. euro73

ANZ's turn - effective today

Called it over a year ago when the RBA stepped in with funding, and called it again in NOV 2021 when I said that by mid FEB 2022, everyone would have moved their fixed rates in one big bite or in several small incremental bites ... Clearly each lender is taking a different approach but it will all end up in the same place ; bye bye artificially low fixed rates as the RBA's funding exits stage left, and hello real world fixed rates as banks have to tap global funding pools again.

Rates are still very low.... but the sub 2% market is over . Holding 1 or 2 year fixed rates below 3% will be the new game for the banks .

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 9.41.58 am.png Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 9.42.11 am.png Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 9.42.27 am.png

ParraEels likes this.
  11. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Interestingly since the time of this post, variable rates are down around 20-30bps for new lending from most players (except smaller ones).

In fact, we have some majors privately quoting to us that they will match offers from players they'd usually not compete with. Variable OO rates in general down from big players from around 2.6ish to 2.3ish. This is also a way to negate APRA 3% rule change almost entirely for OO's, by lowering variable rates close to a floor rate. Clever design, as it means only investor borrowers who pay a bit more have BC impacts from this change.

Obvious shift in book and preferences, we will see a big drop of in demand for fixed loans as more and more data comes out.

craigc likes this.
  12. ParraEels

ParraEels Well-Known Member

Indeed it is clever tactics by the bank. All new borrowers will go for a variable loan. This will give banks a chance to raise rates and protect their margin in future.

13. euro73

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 3.19.00 pm.png

Lindsay_W likes this.
  14. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

This is interesting .. I think banks tried to dip into 'pandemic savings' by trying to raise interest rates but without any real shortage on money supply, it resulted in smaller competitors taking the business from big lenders. Most lenders would still like most borrowers to fix rates in anticipation of rising interest rates but RBA is in no hurry to raise interest rates.. once the supply chain issues are sorted and consumer prices start dropping, they will realise retail sales are plummeting Australia wide. January retail sales were 10% down which is extremely worrying.

Australian economy is far from any signs of recovery, consumer spending is dismal at best .. no central bank would want to restrict money supply by raising interest rates.

Interest rates ONLY go up when consumer demand for goods & services in the economy outgrows supply. What we have right now is reduced demand and extremely reduced supply for both goods and services .. this is a shrinking economy and interest rates should be the last thing on anyone's mind.

15. PeterCr

PeterCr Well-Known Member

Looking at ANZ - (Similar scenario with other banks Margins) - It appears that the Net Interest Margins are shrinking and with the latest market update from ANZ there is further pressure. With fixed rates moving - the next opportunity to recoup these NIM would be when there is an upward pressure on Variable rates and there is a good chance that banks will dish out larger interest rate hikes when rates start to move.
    upload_2022-2-8_15-39-57.png

craigc, Redom and ParraEels like this.
  16. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Banks want you to make a wrong call on fixing rates because your loss is their profit. If you fix the rate, and variable rate goes up, bank has already hedged your rate so it doesn't change their margin. However, if you get it wrong and variable rates start coming down, this is all sweet profit for the bank.

Banks (and in most cases brokers) are NOT on your side. They profit way more if you get it wrong.

WattleIdo and ParraEels like this.
  17. Redom

Wow great charts, thank you. Any charts on CBA as a comparison? ANZ have had a few specific issues with their delivery that could be causing some of that crunch.

18. Redom

Interesting comment, haven't thought of this before. Curious, how do you think brokers profit from customers getting this decision wrong? I can understand bank margins on this, but unsure how distributors benefit from it.

19. sash

sash Well-Known Member

This is 100% correct. There is already plans in place to slowly move variable rates 25 basis points independent of the RBA. Things when they happen will move a lot quicker than people think!;)

20. sash

sash Well-Known Member

This is exactly what they are doing...the lemmings are not aware yet.....:p:D

They raise fixed rates...once they go over the variable...people have no options...get what happens to variable rates....no brainer...:p:D