Fixed loan - is my thinking correct?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Jasper, 2nd Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Jasper

Jasper Well-Known Member

Loan 1 - I have a fixed rate loan about to revert back to variable in 2 weeks. The loan is $340k.

Loan 2 - In May, I'll need another loan for building and it will be getting a bit tight for borrowing in the bank's eyes (even though I have $250k in an offset, the banks ignore it). I will be fine to borrow but want everything working in my favour.

My question is, do I fix loan1 for a new term
    A) as interest only for lower repayments
    B) as P+I to get a better rate

I'm thinking I need to do A so that my monthly liability is lower when I go to apply for Loan B.

Does that sound right? Thoughts?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Only you would know what you will do.

If you are asking if you should fix, then that is something you should get specific advice on. It will depend on rates, terms, cash amounts, non-deductible debt etc.

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

May help from a cash flow perspective, however, may not help with the borrowing capacity unless you were going to a non bank lender (which allows construction), which determines borrowing capacity based on your actual repayments

Jasper likes this.
  4. Simon Moore

Simon Moore Residential & Commercial Mortgage Broker Business Member

Level 2 287 Collins St Melbourne VIC 3000
    You probably need to sit down with a broker who can prepare a debt plan for you before you make this decision. If you can service the new loan with a mainstream lender, then P&I will likely increase your borrowing power, if you need to go with a second-tier lender, then IO would help. It's personal to your circumstances and you won't be able to get accurate feedback in this type of forum.

Last edited: 3rd Jan, 2018
    Jasper and Perthguy like this.