Fixed Business Contract, the builder is asking for nearly 100k more what can I do?

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by JMica, 7th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you.
    I've never had a land titling issue because I've never titled land but have had delays with council before

It must be a fairly common occurrence but demanding that much money or else he won't proceed doesn't sound like a common/ reasonable situation

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It's actually quite common in the past 12mths which is why most HIA construction projects have a number of 'outs' but it must either be a very expensive house or more than 1 because generally builders try and keep the price rise to a percentage. I doubt it's a $200k house build that has risen $92k.

Contracts can't be fixed for more than xx days for things that are outside the control of the builder. It might be harsh for a customer who is relying on that but it is fair. Quotes and contracts should only be valid for a set time. If the building price went down the customer could terminate this contract if it was outside the fixed time and go find a cheaper builder or say to the builder I will terminate if you don't lower the price.

3. Truly Exotic

Well if the build is $1000000 and a 92 k increase for a big delay in land title I would say is reasonable. Not sure what the legalities are if push came to shove

4. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

OP, what was the original build price?

Redom likes this.
  5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I'd also be reviewing the land purchase contract, every contract has contingencies (get out clauses).
    Why is it always land titling the gets delayed by months/years ?
    Yet no one allows for these delays .....

Shogun likes this.
  6. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

A lawyer will be able to tell you if you have an enforceable contract.
    Contracts can expire due to time.
    Did you pay a larger than normal deposit to indicate your strong intention do to business?

Business law 101 was studied a life time ago.

Last edited: 10th Feb, 2022
  7. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

So you think the builder should just build the property at a loss?
    Most build contracts state that the price is only fixed for a certain period, usually 60 days in my experience, that's their get out clause.
    Builder didn't 'make a boo boo' if the cost of materials from their suppliers increased it's out of the builders control.
    People really need to read their contract before signing them, 'Fixed Price' doesn't mean fixed price forever, that would be ridiculous.

Sheshop likes this.
  8. Truly Exotic

originally I had missed the point about the delay in land titling being outside what was stipulated in teh contract or if it was included or not,

if the delay was outside what is agreed then yes I agree then the builder shouldnt build at a loss but the remedy I do not know, what is appropriate

9. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

So based on the above your "quote/contract" that you haven't paid any deposit toward is no longer valid "being outside what was stipulated in the contract".
    Should you seek other quotes for the construction I'd be very surprised if they come in less than what your builder is offering.
    In fact I'd be be looking to fix this agreement ASAP (based on no further increases) and locking it in by paying a substantial deposit to secure the agreement yesterday (based on recent building material price increases !!!!).

10. Truly Exotic

I missed the no deposit bit too
    I assumed a deposit had been paid

I'm starting to look like a silly sausage aren't I:D

11. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Not at all ;)
    The entire development process is a learning curve ;)
    Even @Westminster (and others) have admitted to rookie errors after many projects :cool:
    The BEST bit about this forum is sharing mistakes so others can learn from them (hopefully in advance) to avoid or minimalize the financial cost and delays caused :)
    Few of us here are property lawyers, but many have experience.
    The "contract" is everything (Even though there's various parts not worded for a be layman to understand....o_O).
    Feel free to share your entire story so that this small community of friends may benefit :D (Even though you may only see the current cost).
    Good luck moving forward :cool:

Shazz@ and Truly Exotic like this.
  12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Truly Exotic isn't the OP though, they were just giving their opinion and didn't quite realise the nuances of what the OP had said (no deposit, excess time)

craigc, The Y-man and Truly Exotic like this.
  13. Truly Exotic

ive only had experience in a couple of small scale projects but admittedly didnt know deposit-less contracts existed. we ran into problems at every step but they were just "pull your hair out and move on" ones. Admittedly my opinion of tradies got worse as the majority of the problems were caused by them

I remember my very first reno, was planning 10-14 days, I think it took 6-7 weeks!