Fixed Bedroom Window in Apartment Building (level 6)

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by apartmentloser2015, 19th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. apartmentloser2015

apartmentloser2015 Member

I am about to settle a off the plan purchase. During our settlement inspection, we found out that one of the bedroom windows is fixed - the apartment is located on the 6th level, and the window is situated on the side of the building (i.e. not to the balcony).

I was therefore hoping to understand would there a particular reason for the builders to fix the window (i.e. cost saving) and if there are possibilities to make changes to it so it can be opened.

2. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Could be all sorts of reasons for fixing the window. two that come to mind is cost savings and also fire safety issue.

It is very unusual but I have seen fixed windows above things like restaurants or other commercial premises which posed a higher fire risk and as such not having openable windows reduces the risk of the fire entering your unit..

If it is due to risk then getting it changed will be impossible. Even if it's not it's unlikely that strata will ever allow you to change it.

3. apartmentloser2015

apartmentloser2015 Member

thanks for the prompt reply, thats the unfortunate risk in buying off the plan, they also have sprinklers internal to the apartment which may well point to fire safety reasons

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The window may be required only to meet the requirements for natural light not ventilation.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'm building some apartments and some windows are fixed to meet the fire protection system that have been designed. They can never be replaced to openable as without a different system (ie sprinker system over outside window) they can be a point of flame escape that can cause the neighbours to catch fire.

Last edited: 20th Jul, 2019
    Marg4000 likes this.