Fittting Vertical blinds

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by giraffez, 6th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

i brought a vertical blind from spotlight. The height is about 8 cm longer than the glass door. I don't know how this could be, I thought glass doors are standard size.

Anyway, I can't fit in inside the frame or it will dangle to the floor ( the width is fine), I'm thinking of fitting it outside the frame, it's not ideal but a custom made one costs at least three times the price.

I'm just wondering, is it possible to fit it outside the frame, there is no instructions on the packaging. I'm not sure whether it comes with a bracket that will allow me to do this.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is it 1980? Try some holland blinds instead for a more modern look.

WestOz and giraffez like this.
  3. Martin73

Martin73 Well-Known Member

Or some honeycomb blinds for added advantage of energy efficiency.

I replaced 1980s verticals in a 2 bedder apartment in Canberra with vertical honeycomb blinds and the difference was amazing.

I sourced my blinds from Honeycomb Blinds Online - Save up to 70%. For 3 sliding doors (3m x 2m) the cost was approximately $1800.

giraffez likes this.
  4. giraffez

I've brought it already, I think they will do for now. I just want to know is do I need extra equipment to install it outside the frame or do pre made blinds come with them already.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Yes you can fit them above the frame. Just use the supplied brackets. I would ask Spotlight for a copy of the instructions from another pack.

However, unless there is a stud exactly under each side where you need to screw the brackets, you will need to install a 'header board'. This is a wooden batten or narrow board ( at least as wide as the blind top). It is screwed above the window into the studs - all the way across where you want to attach the blind.

You will need at least a spirit level to get the brackets level, stud finder, pencil, screwdriver, and possibly a header board (pine or tassie oak).

If drilling directly into a stud, you may need longer self drilling wood screws than supplied as you have to allow an extra 10mm for the plaster thickness.

You can easily exchange it with a receipt at Spotlight if you want, as long as the packaging is still there.

Last edited: 6th Jun, 2017
    giraffez likes this.
  6. giraffez

Thanks for that, I think there is a bracket there already, they may have fitted it if it's not custom size door.

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Generally bracket sizes vary according to what is being fixed. Therefore, the bracket that is already there may not fit.

If your architraves are deep enough to give you the 8cm you need, you may be able to fit it on the architrave.

8. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Consider the total time you've just spent on it, including running around, perhaps returning it etc, vs, the cost of someone who knows what there doing while your focusing on other things you are capable of.

D.T. likes this.
  9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Mind you, three times the price of the Spotlight one plus installation .. probably worth doing a bit of running around!

10. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

For some of us.
    Spotlight have a policy re opened.

11. giraffez

When you say architrave, is this the wooden frame around the glass door you are referring to?

If i open the packaging and find that the brackets are not there or its not possible to mount it, do you know whether spotlight will take it back for a return? Provided I still have the receipt and packaging in good order?

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

In Melbourne, yes. However, open very carefully so you can put it back in the packaging. The packet will be secured with staples or plastic clips that you can prize apart.

The brackets will be in the pack along with the instructions.

You need to return or exchange within a certain amount of time - a month I think. But check the returns policy in NSW. And you need to put everything back in the pack, including the instructions and the unused blind.

Yes, the architraves are the wood that sits on top of the wall all the way around the window or door.

giraffez likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia