First world problems 2019

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 3rd Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Gotcha worried hey?

Good. It's working. Have to bring youse lot to the side of goodness and right.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I've always received a bit of contact form spam (automated bot filling out the contact form on PropertyChat with a spam message) - but lately I've started getting contact form spam selling me on the benefits of sending contact form spam.

"Sending your message through the Contact us form which can be found on the sites in the contact partition. Contact form are filled in by our software and the captcha is solved. The advantage of this method is that messages sent through feedback forms are whitelisted. This method increases the chances that your message will be open. Mailing is done in the same way as you received this message.

Your commercial offer will be open by millions of site administrators and those who have access to the sites!"
    It's all rather meta.

Not sure they've really got their target market identified correctly.

EN710, ChrisP73, Gockie and 1 other person like this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I must get 20-30 a day trying to sell me a website redesign

5. SatayKing

So why aren't you replying to me? I'm giving you heaps of opportunities.

Lizzie and Scott No Mates like this.
  6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Just like last year, my niece (year 4) was selected to represent her school for the cross country.

A couple of interesting things....
    1. The event is held within school hours and students are supposed to get to the location by themselves. The school is not supplying transport. This is for primary school kids! Good luck if your kid decides to walk or bike rides there and something happens to them on the way.... The event isn't even in the same suburb as the school. By Google maps it would take someone 1h 9 min to walk between the school and the venue.

2. There is a $10 entry fee to participate that the parents are to pay.

Wtf??? Way to go.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Gockie - you get what you pay for (at a public school & everywhere else). Are you suggesting the public purse should pick up the tab?

Independent schools charge levies to cover whatever you participate in eg music levy, drama levy, sports, computer/IT, chess, Maths competitions etc - it doesn't stop.

Lizzie and SatayKing like this.
  8. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

That really surprises me Gockie,

My Daughter (grade 6) is also representing Her school in cross country regional finals (being held tomorrow).
    Race is within school hours and the school will bus her there and back.
    There is no entry fee payable by parents either.
    She has been told the only thing She needs to bring is her spirts uniform, a cut lunch & a water bottle.

9. SatayKing

LOL. Hopefully after Year 12 it stops. Only a short twelve years or so. Consider it purgatory before heaven awaits.

10. Gockie

Ok, my niece is very talented and also she is really strong. But the school (public school) is making parents pay to participate in a running race and not providing any way to get there. Also, my niece is very academic and diligent. She represented her class for the student rep council and was beyond band 6 in the Naplan for spelling.

If this was high school and it was me I'd prefer to do a normal school day instead. Hate to miss a maths class and miss picking up a new concept.... They are making it too hard for kids to participate in the Cross country. And a parent or kid may decide to not participate in the event because of these barriers.

Why doesn't the school just collect a few more dollars from the kids at the beginning of the year to cover things like the transport for a representative event like this and to cover the entry fee?

I reckon... A local business could sponsor the kids, pay the entry, get their names on the running shirts... (Ps. The kids are only borrowing the shirts to run in! They have to give them back to school after the event).

Win-win.

11. Simon Hampel

Onya Australia Post ... package delivery from JB HiFi Macquarie Shopping Centre to Artarmon - about 10km.

Instead, they decide to send it via Melbourne? Over 1,800km travelled :rolleyes:

upload_2019-5-21_11-2-6.png

... lucky it wasn't urgent!

Gockie, SatayKing and TMNT like this.
  12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I sent 3 packages on the same day from melb, same company

To NZ, adelaide, and qld

NZ took 3 days, adelaide took 8 days, QLD is still in transit

way to go australia OI OI OI

13. Simon Hampel

That's like several years ago, I ordered three things from different online stores on the same day.

The package from Amazon US arrived in 4 days, the package from Melbourne arrived in 7 days, the package from the other side of Sydney arrived in 15 days :rolleyes:

QldKoolies and TMNT like this.
  14. SatayKing

Bizarre. However, I suppose it beats traveling 10km through Sydney region to do a store pick-up especially if you're also as busy as.

I've had goods go from Boronia, Victoria to the store I ordered them from in Torquay, Victoria to Sydney and then to Canberra. No idea why. Maybe it was back filling.

inertia likes this.
  15. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I dont know whether thats just lazy aussies, or just a crappy australia post system full of bureacracy

but as you said, amazon US is 4 days, ive had items from HK and china delivered in 3-4 days as well

16. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Sounds pretty standard. At our school, the parents usually communicate and share transit. For example, tomorrow morning I'll be taking my daughter and a bunch of other girls to Starstruck rehearsals (its a newcastle thing), and one of the other kids' parents will be picking them up in the afternoon.

My wife keeps complaining that instead of all these volunteer things and fundraisers, cant we just contribute more money at the start of the year, but I think volunteering has a more significant impact than just saving money - it contribute to community connection.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

17. Gockie

Well, what happened was the race was run yesterday. I believe my sister attended (solving the transport issue). Apparently there are 18 schools in the zone, over 100 kids in the race. She ended up 39th, a big improvement over last year. Ps. She doesn't train for athletics, and as far as I know, she doesn't run for fun. (I would know about it if she did).
    As for carpooling... Yes, you can do that. One thing. What would happen if there was an accident and a kid got injured? I'd really hate to be the one driving, taking that responsibility.

18. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Properties needing maintenance year this year :oops:

19. SatayKing

The solution to that problem. :D

Shares & Funds

20. SatayKing

Damn the reliance on electronic banking and associated cards.

Was in a total fluster talking on the phone and attempted to use that nice little card to pay for parking.

Instead of waving it in front of the electronic gadget I stupidly inserted it in the slot for notes. Chewed the thing up completely and the fellas couldn't get it out. Plus it totally jammed up the machine.

Cancelled the card but no access to funds until I get another one.

Yeah I know about the phone apps but I'm old school. Bring back passbooks and cash.

Sigh* At least it gave the lady at the bank a laugh.

VB King, Scott No Mates and EN710 like this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.