First world problems 2019

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 3rd Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Good point. Houses in Sydney tend to have roof insulation but not double glazing.

I know there's a house down my street, apparently the last tenants spent something like 3k to heat their home last winter, lots of big windows. The owner had something like a ducted system but it didn't work and wouldn't fix it so the tenants moved out when their lease was up.

The new tenants that moved in have 2 very little kids (baby and maybe 2-3 year old)... I gave them that heads up when I met them.

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm just not into beaches.

I'm also not into hot humid summers or crowded roads or masses of people.

Canberra rarely has a day that's too hot to be comfortable. We had our air con on about three times this last summer.

Canberra has been a great place to raise our family. It's quick and easy to drive them to soccer games. There are many facilities around for sports and cycling. There are very rarely traffic problems. There are good shopping facilities, but it very rarely gets crowded to the point of discomfort.

If I did want beaches, they're about an hour's drive away. And the snow is an easy day trip as well.

Sure, the winter is cool. But I'm outside working most days - day temperatures are cool but comfortable.

England has a worse climate. Cold in winter, but without the nice warm spring and summer we have here - and it was far more frequently overcast.

My ideal climate would be one that doesn't get too hot in summer, but doesn't get too cool in winter. I don't know if that really exists in Australia. The best places for this are areas at an altitude in the tropics. I lived in Medellin in Colombia for three months. Always about 18 to 32, and never humid. There are quite a few places in Latin America like that, probably more elsewhere.

EN710 likes this.
  3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

LOL. I wondered at your reference to menopause so went back to your other post. My eyesight has been poor since my teenage years and I have cataracts. I have difficulty reading very small print so I avoid it if possible and didn't read that bit.

A couple I know put in double glazing, and heavy curtains, for the house they bought a couple of years ago. I believe it was pricey. I don't know what it cost them as it's not my place to ask. They also had two PV solar systems installed and both qualify for a feed-in tariff. They told me they have wiped out their annual energy bill

Assuming they intend to stay there for many years it was long-term thinking.

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Bundaberg and Hervey Bay in Qld would match that, with a beach to boot. Sub tropical and not too wet/humid.

Canberra sounds really nice.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I won't speculate :oops:

Strangely, I find Noosa humid but not those other two :confused:

As for Canbrrrrrrrrrra - love it.:D

6. SatayKing

Be nice to those of us with a visual impairment. We're people too. :p

7. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Submitted files for my tax return for 18/19. Accountant say it will take sometime to process. But I want it now... also don't know if I can get the tax offset :(

8. SatayKing

Spending a loooong time yesterday at the hospital EA.

The FWP?

Complaining about actually having access to health care.

Marg4000 likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's school holidays, there's a lack of snow on the ground, I still have to get up in the morning, the sun is shining (for the most part), it rained half way through my bike ride so I cut it short, I've gotta start looking at my tax stuff......:D I couldn't be happier.

SatayKing likes this.
  10. SatayKing

Great to know things have finally gone your way.

11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

A few minutes ago I was seriously thinking about mowing our lawns. Lovely sunshine, Mr Angel home today to start the mower for me, what a nice way to exercise and do something useful. Then I realised the noise would wreck the otherwise peace and quiet of a gardening-free morning. Here I am back upstairs and indoors.

Gockie and Marg4000 like this.
  12. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

My daughter lives in Bargara, (beach side Bundaberg). It’s lovely, even on the hottest day you get a fresh sea breeze. And only a light jumper in winter.
    Marg

13. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Sitting in front of the fire in our apartment in the village at Mt Buller looking out at the snowy toboggan run and village square.

About to take young granddaughter (too young for ski school where her siblings are) across the road to meet her parents for hot chocolate.

FWP? Have to allow 15 minutes to get us all into our thermal gear, jackets, boots etc!
    Marg
    (I think this is the closest I am going to get to “Lifestyles of the rich and famous”.....)

Angel likes this.
  14. SatayKing

Snow is useful for melting and filling up the dams. Apart from that zilch to my cantankerous way of thinking. But enjoy nevertheless.

Mt Buller is great in Summer to. Some years ago, we hired a chalet for a weekend. Cost each of us about $20 a night. Wonderful walking around there.

Concrete and paint it green. No mowing necessary.

Marg4000 likes this.
  15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about paving some and covering the rest with gravel. It is a boggy swamp atm, too much shade so the good grass doesn't grow there, only moss and weedy things.

Hang on, I see a deck coming.......

16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

That's Mr Angel. He's going to deck you when you complain about the mower noise ;-)

Marg4000 likes this.
  17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

He's started tuning a motorbike.

He doesn't mow - something about being allergic to grass

I'm leaving now to go to Bunnings -- all this talk about gardening and I need some more vegie seeds to plant.

Marg4000 likes this.
  18. Gockie

I've just been advised by the Payroll manager that this is the last year my company will offer 4 weeks of purchased leave @wombat777

19. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

:eek: is it because it is too much of a payroll nightmare for them?

20. Gockie

Possibly... they missed processing my request when I confirmed that I wanted to take it up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.