First time renovator - timeline and cost

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jules, 16th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jules

Jules Active Member

Hi all,
    Trying to get a top line view of the basics before I dive in!

Looking to do a raise, extend plus include deck for a Queenslander in Brisbane (4km from city).

- How long does the process typically take before build can commence? E.g. Drafting plans, agreeing on design, surveying bits that happen in between, then submitting to council for approval? What's the timeframe?

- Should I be going to a home design company and work with their architects and builders, or should I seek architect and builder seperately. Any pros or cons for either way?

- Is it likely I could do a raise and extend of a Queenslander for less than 400k? Or I should be expecting this type of cost.

Thankyou!!! :)

2. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Cant really answer your questions very well. How big is the extension? Whats the site like for the raising etc...

Your best bet is to contact a house raising company black and white house raising is good. Contact an engineer/draftsman cant help you there mine sucked. Contact a builder and ask these questions. I built my own but friends have gotten quotes at around $2500 per m2 if you are paying someone for all this work. Raising a 100m2 home. Budget $50000 to raise it and put in stumps and braces and beams. In terms of time... at this time of year expect to get stuff sorted by February or march as everyone goes on holidays soon.

Most people price projects like this and decide to build new because you can build new for much less.

R.Brothers likes this.
  3. Jules

Jules Active Member

Thankyou Tim appreciate the info.