First time renovator- one bathroom or two?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by SShres, 28th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SShres

SShres Member

Hello PChatters,

FHB and very very new to renovations. I am looking to get your expert advice on renovating our bathroom in 2bdr villa. Bathroom can be accessed via MB and from hallway. There is an additional toilet across from the bathroom. We originally thought about cosemtic renovation and upgrades to fixtures but now thinking of full reno and creating an ensuite and main bathroom. Considering removal of wall between bathroom and laundry to create more space. Would appreciate your help with revising the floor plan to create maximum use of the space as the property is 130 sqm.

Attached Files:

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Do you have a budget in mind?

3. SShres

SShres Member

about 40k for both

4. SShres

SShres Member

Although would be good get it done cheaper if possible :)

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Can you put the laundry at the rear of the garage?

I'd make bathroom and laundry into ensuite and main bathroom.

If you have to keep the laundry, maybe stack washer and dryer euro style within the new family bathroom, even if they face the hallway so you aren't limiting usage when the bathroom is being used.

That toilet would annoy me sitting there in no man's land. I'd want to knock through between kitchen and living room and remove the toilet to create a really open plan living space, but that is a much bigger job and means changing flooring etc.

Lastly, I guess being a villa, you have to park a car in the garage (?) and couldn't add a carport. That garage is a perfect place to use as living space.

SShres likes this.
  6. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

How attached are you to that spa? Spas eat up a lot of space.

The second toilet is in a weird position, but worth keeping unless you carve up the bathroom laundry into two bathrooms.

craigc, SShres and Joynz like this.
  7. SShres

SShres Member

Thanks @wylie Laundry in garage could work. We were thinking of european style laundry as well. Not really fussed about having a separate laundry TBH.
    I agree, the lone toilet is a bit annoying and we thought about removing it and adding it to the new main bathroom but then we lose the storage adjacent to the toilet. Also we might go over budget with that one.

There is street parking available but having two cars we would rather have one in the garage. Adding carport is not feasible.

Down the track when we need a bigger place, we want to make this property IP and change the floor plan from 2X1 to 3X2. This would mean making the current living room into another 3rd bdr. Or opening up the wall between kitchen and living room and create a room where the family/meals room is in the original floor plan. Any thoughts?

8. SShres

SShres Member

Not really attached to spa. Our initial thought was to remove it and add a spacious shower and bath. The second toilet would stay in its current location.

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Is this property subject to an Owners Corporation? It looks like a unit from the plan...

10. wylie

Imagine the toilet gone (means fixing the floor - more expense), but you walk straight into a very big area. The toilet goes into the family bathroom (now bigger), laundry into the garage (probably better than euro style in the main bathroom). The cupboard you lose behind the toilet is moved to beside the robe to the second bedroom (perhaps shallower to allow for the windows to the courtyard?). This gives even more storage.

I'd put the third bedroom where the family/meals area is except it seems to flow to a courtyard. If so, then could you put it where the living/dining is but make it a bit smaller (where the corner is truncated) so that you still get an open feeling once you walk in?

And of course, can you do this anyway? Owner Corporation problems? Approval?

And, of course, I want to make my IPs to suit me, which is a big mistake. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not living there. Don't fall into the easy trap of spending money where it isn't necessary.

SShres and Stoffo like this.
  11. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

plans bathroom.jpg Make the laundry a bathroom combo, close off door. Make a passage and door to keep outside access?

craigc and SShres like this.
  12. wylie

That is simple and most cost effective (and could still put laundry into garage).

My other question would be what 2x1 rents for and what 3x2 would rent for in this complex?

SShres likes this.
  13. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Hard to say without knowing room dimensions.

With three bedrooms, you need a living area with enough seating for 4-5 people, plus a dining table and chairs. Hard to see how you will fit all that in if you sacrifice almost half of the living areas to create a third bedroom. Unless the rooms are huge?
    Marg

SShres likes this.
  14. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Something like this maybe?

Attached Files:

• help.png
      help.png
      File size:
      283.4 KB
      Views:
    craigc and SShres like this.
  15. SShres

SShres Member

property is a unit in a block of three. There is no strata involved.

16. SShres

SShres Member

I hadnt thought about this... definitely keep in this mind moving forward.

Approval is another thing we need to look into.. This is just planning at this stage for us.

17. SShres

SShres Member

This could work.. thanks

18. SShres

SShres Member

2X1 rents for about 390-400/wk whereas 3X2 currently is 450-500/wk. 3X2 however are mostly townhouses.

19. SShres

SShres Member

Hadnt thought about this.. good tip :) Rooms are spacious than average unit but I would say they are huge.

20. SShres

SShres Member

Thanks @Archaon, bear with me (being a novice with all this)... is the laundry now where the second toilet was previously?