First Time Owner Builder Granny Flat Sydney

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by nzhorsey, 26th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Is doing an owner builder granny flat really worth the savings and pain?

1. Yes, it'd be rude not to!

60.0%
  2. Nope, not in your life!

40.0%
  1. nzhorsey

nzhorsey Member

I also think this is the best way to think about saving $$$$ vs time for me this... On my salary it would probably take me at least a couple of years to save 10k in cash! But saving $$$ on a project that will last only a few months in my opinion is well worth the time especially if those savings can come up to around 20-30k.

Just my opinion, but food for thought:)

bhojapudur, GOU, Terry_w and 2 others like this.
  2. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

Yep... Bang on. Most likely specify piers to extend beyond zone of influence... Hopefully you can lucky like @neK and get away with encasing the existing and not replacing as well. Your waterboard coordinator will specify this requirement for building over asset. Keep a healthy sum in budgeting for this process. Say 5 k just for stamping.

3. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I think I just had needed more piers from memory

Gingin likes this.
  4. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

@nzhorsey good luck buddy.

I can point you in the direction of a structural engineer with better prices.

Out of interest, why are you doing a peg out survey? I would imagine this will be due to the distance from boundary etc but I wonder if it can be done with a simple measurement (provided the property is big enough even if there is a margin of error in your measurements you will be ok)

In any case if you can, stay far away from the council, Private certifier all the way.

In terms of sewer encasement etc, honestly a granny flat, unless if you are building two story with double brick. Doesnt have that much weight to need "complicated" engineering. I wouldnt even bother with a soil test, I would just do a H1 waffle slab with some piers, encase the sewer as it has been suggested and go from there. Its just my personal opinion.

5. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

You can't build without water board stamp. Peg out is for them. They stamp , they decide if you pier encase and replace.your job is to pay and do my one is a glorified shed, yet 30 k system in slab pier and replacement. And encasement.

6. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

You might be referring to the water quick check stamp by Sydney Water. That usually is for the builds that affect their assets which is public assets of Sydney Water. I am assuming the sewer encasement is because a neighbor at the back has an easement whereby he is running his sewer through this property and it needs to be encased. Or it may be his own sewer that needs to be encased.

Peg out survey is usually done right before the build and it is to place "pegs" to say for example, this is where the garage starts and this is the back of the granny flat etc. You need it done especially if you are subdividing land or you need to be away from certain boundaries etc. I wouldnt have imagined you need to place pegs to then get your plans stamped.

If you have plenty of land to work with and you are obviously not subdividing land and you are not concerned about distance from certain boundaries, you may or may not need it done.

7. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

Peg out is the service protection report. Not what u are 'guessing' .
    @Tenex . Let Google be your friend with the waterboard ...

8. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Well-Known Member

Hey Mate

Good luck with the build. I'm building a granny flat over sewer pipe right now. Well we finished. We are at the stage of putting up the roof, but this damn torrential rain stopped all the work.

You are right about encasing that you an save a lot of money there. Together with encasing and inspection it cost me 8.4k but this was for 14m. It depends a lot on what type of soil you have on your land. For me it was easy to dig up so it was cheaper. You are correct you will need a slightly different engineering plan, but for them it should not really make a lot of difference.

My concreters were 16k and wood frame and roof (15k). So far those were two most expensive costs. Altogether my build should come in at around 90-100k (excluding council fee, it is 20k :( ). Which would have cost me around 140k + council fee to build with project builder.

Gingin likes this.
  9. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

You are talking about a "sewer peg out" not a "peg out survey". Entirely different. Building Site Peg Out

Although he may need one, the OP has not mentioned anything about a sewer peg out and it is usually done when your works impact public assets of Sydney water not a private easement that may be running through your property.

I have let google be my friend but will google let me be his friend. The question remains :)

Last edited: 6th Jun, 2016
  10. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

Thats a pretty good price. These days they dont even do a driveway for that price.

How big was your slab and what class of slab did you put in? I am assuming it was single story?

11. Liela71

Liela71 Active Member

Finally moving on my granny flat built slab was laid on Tuesday so hopefully the frame starts going up on Monday.
    Here's a pic of the slab frame, and slab being poured, been getting home from work too late to get a pic of the slab

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Gingin likes this.
  12. nzhorsey

nzhorsey Member

Latest Update

So have locked in a Water Services Coordinator for $1792 for Sewer Encasement which includes everything, all certifications, inspections etc.

Just locked in another great guy (been doing for 30 years) for the physical Encasement to do 10 lineal metres for $4000 and will take away any excess dirt for only another $400 (please be aware of this extra cost as there will be around 5-6 tonnes of dirt that will need to be removed.

Structural Engineer $2000 and all good to go for the slight changes for the slab over sewer Encasement. I realise I could have got this a little cheaper but he is a mate and absolutely brilliant to deal with so quite happy to pay a little extra.

I have not been in a hurry for this project and I now see that if you are in a hurry then you would be better to pay someone to do the whole thing but I'm taking my time and just enjoying the journey and haven't been precious about really driving it.

Going to be $4034 for Section 94 fees

$2200 for a private certifier.

Will be close to 20k for everything before I even get the slab down.

We are looking to make this granny flat slightly different interior wise from what is out there in the market. Realise it's a little riskier but we are after a more industrial hip look, and thinking of polished concrete floor and dark ceilings and lots of wood.

Will keep you posted everyone:)

bhojapudur and Gingin like this.
  13. stevenn

stevenn Member

Curious to know how the project came along @nzhorsey:)? Any showcase photo? How did it cost in total and the breakdown? Lesson learnt and what would you have done differently?

I am heading into one soon and itd be great if you can share

14. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

Hi @stevenn , It is most important to get the 80 / 20 rule right. Meaning the stratergy must be right . No amount of good project mgt in the 20 will make a bad stratergy a success.

If the area and lot shape support your decision to do a GF. The strategy (80)will pay the dividend. Not the execution. Keep in mind opportunity cost. Btw budget 150 to const and 20k for soft costs. If your numbers work, and it works in your plan..... Go , it worked really well for me.

15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Explain. A GF does not add a single value benefit to the property. Its about yield. Unless the GF adds to CGT value but if you dont sell its like adding gold plate rims to a i20

16. Asis01

Asis01 New Member

17. Asis01

Asis01 New Member

Hi.. seeking help to be owner builder to build our granny flat at backyard..

18. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

There may be limited cost savings for OB a GF. This is because many of these structures are modular and kit like and have a lesser labour element vs a full dwelling even due to size. The electrical, foundations, plumbing etc will all still need to be trade licensed. Plus council levies and state fees. The costs of obtaining a OB license need to be compared to the benefits. eg cheap / free labour and mark ups, cheap materials etc...But you will also be liable for any defects and rework for matters done badly. To get an idea think of Keith on The Block. If you skip getting waterproofing inspected then expect problems with final sign off. .

A start point may be your local council to determine what is site permitted then research a OB license and training scheme for details on getting the OB license and a GF provider for plans etc.
    Becoming an owner-builder

Understanding the limitations of a OB license and selling is important. You will likely need cash for the build as lenders wont fund a OB job. I have had two clients consider a OB site and neither bothered as it was faster and financed easier using a licensed builder. One was put off by the selling problems a OB creates. The sale contract (within 7+ years of build) must specify the absence of warranty protection for the GF. Buyers will be concerned. You will then explain that the contractors cover any defects and then they will worry more. What defects !! If they sign the contract they can sue you for defects later !

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia