First Time Investor

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Lee2021, 23rd Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Lee2021

Lee2021 New Member

Hi All,

Just been approved to start shopping for an IP, looking to spend ~$800k. My PPOR is in Melbourne’s Eastern suburbs.

Just wondering what are the main factors that help you decide where/what to buy.

This will be a long term hold, currently been looking at properties with the potential to subdivide down the track.

Cheers

2. Branden

Branden Well-Known Member Business Member

Welcome to the forum. There are many things to consider when looking for an investment property and this can change depending on your goals/circumstances. If you are looking for a long-term hold I would assume your focus is capital growth. As a general rule of thumb, I would look for an established property, in a strong demand suburb with value-add potential. If you are looking to subdivide down the track you will need a block size that will enable you to do this. When you find a property that ticks your boxes it would be wise to look at the property's zoning to determine if it is subdividable. You may benefit quite a lot from reading on the forum to get a better understanding of what fundamentals attribute to a quality investment vs what you may want to avoid. I hope this helps.

3. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Good luck - suggest it will be outer Eastern if you are looking for a house.

Beware market around that budget seems extremely hot in Melbourne at the moment so prepared to move quickly when you find something that ticks your boxes.

4. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Welcome to PC and congrats on taking the first step of your investing journey.

If you can get something that you can add value to that will be a bonus, however, these types of properties in a hot market sell fast and at a premium.

5. FIdreamer

FIdreamer Member

Have you bought your 1st IP?

I am on the same boat as you. Living in Melbourne's East suburbs and just started exploring to buy my 1st IP with the subdivided potential.

6. HonestShiba

HonestShiba Well-Known Member

Why Melbourne?

7. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

Buy in Brisbane. Close your eyes and shoot a dart on the map. Where ever you buy in Brisbane, Logan, Moreton Bay, Redlands or Ipswich councils your going to make money.

This is the year for Brisbane to shine. Even moreso than it did in 2021. Its absolutely bonkers up there and its going to continue through 2022/2023.

8. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

counter-cyclical maybe.

9. FIdreamer

FIdreamer Member

Wouldn't it be less hassle to buy an IP with subdivide potential for the investor in the same state/city ? If I am planning to process the subdivision, it needs more presence of us. That's my opinion.

10. FIdreamer

FIdreamer Member

What should I need to do if I want to identify a property with subdivide potential in Brisbane by being in Melbourne. I can able to travel a few. I could able to filter realestate.com.au with description stating "STCA" . But before placing an offer, What can I do to make sure this property can be subdivided?

11. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I generally like houses with a larger than average land component, ideally with a higher density zoning for the area.

Also, am I the only one that's predicting a username change to "Seckie"? :D

12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

It's one reason I only have IPs in the eastern half of Melbourne - can go and visit it, do some odd jobs ourselves etc

Most importantly however, it's because I know an area, the reputation (even if reputation is against reality, it can scare tenants away). what a fair price is etc.

The Y-man

13. The Y-man

You can never be sure! It comes down to so many factors. Let's face it, if it were that easy, everyone would be doing it right?

The Y-man

Rambo and FIdreamer like this.
  14. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

As above anything with STCA is exactly what it means. Subject to Council Approval.

If I knew well in advance of buying a property that any development plan would be approved heck I'd be a billionaire. LOL

Last edited: 17th Jan, 2022
    FIdreamer, Rambo and The Y-man like this.
  15. The Y-man

One thing you can do is look at an area where houses are turning into townhouses.

For example, if you are looking at a house where the next door neighbour has just morphed into 2 townhouses on the same size block, you have a reasonable chance.

Again, you can't be sure because zonings may change etc (I heard Noble Park is one such place where there was subdividing frenzy, but council have put the brakes on)

The Y-man

FIdreamer likes this.
  16. The Y-man

Also think about doing something opposite to everyone else. An older house on land that pertinently cannot be subdivided can present good buying (coz no developer type wants it!)

eg.
    • Inner city blocks that are typically 150sqm to 350sqm
    • Low density zones where minimum land sizes are stipulated

The Y-man

Beano and FIdreamer like this.