First Time Investor-Need area and BA Recommendation

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Kremitz, 10th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kremitz

Kremitz Active Member

Hi, we are a first time investors looking to buy our first IP with a 500k-550k budget. We would be aiming for growth obviously since it is the first IP but with a decent rental yield so we are thinking the big regional areas like Newcastle, Geelong, and Ballarat but there might be good opportunities in Melbourne as they have just come out of lockdown. We want to engage a buyer’s agent for this purchase. I already have a few BAs in mind but would love to hear recommendations from those who have personally used them.

Also how do we select the BA? What are the common questions to ask them? We obviously would prefer local agents rather than those who operate nationally.

Considering our budget and goal which is growth and decent rental yield, are there any more areas we need to look at apart from the areas mentioned above?

Would really appreciate your help, thanks.

2. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

You don't need a BA, in my opinion. There's a ton of knowledge on this website, for free.

For that money and that yield requirement, Lara in the SW springs to mind immediately. It's sits nicely between Geelong and Werribee, has an international airport very close by with no air traffic going over it. It has a train station which I believe is a 55 min trip to the CBD.

Inside Geelong, Newcomb for that money. Some parts of Bell Park and BPH too maybe. Thomson fits into the budget but the rents aren't the greatest.

Further out, Armstrong Creek, Leopold and surrounds have much better rents but I'd expect inner Geelong and Lara to rise more.

Then, you can target the better parts of Hoppers Crossing - Cambridge, Mossfiel and Bellbridge estates (in that order) but you'd have to be decisive because properties in those estates get snapped up pretty quickly and may go over that budget.

Werribee too for that money, but rents are pretty average. CG maybe higher, just because it's closer to the CBD.

Navig8or likes this.
  3. Kremitz

Kremitz Active Member

Thanks @Westie for all the recommendations. We are Sydney based that’s why we would prefer getting a BA. So you reckon Geelong still has more to grow? We are not too late to invest in Geelong?

Sorry what is BPH?

4. Kremitz

Kremitz Active Member

Just wanted to bump this thread

For the mortgage brokers here, can you please recommend Melbourne or Newcastle based Buyer’s agents that have produced good results for your clients? Thank you.

5. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

Jacqui Middleton (Middleton Buyers Advocates) is highly recommended. She's on here, but I cannot tag her with @JacM for some reason.

6. Kremitz

Kremitz Active Member

Haha she’s one of the BAs that I am actually considering. Thanks. Just wondering if there is any other more recommendations I can get

7. OzziMelbourne

OzziMelbourne Well-Known Member

Lara has been growing in terms of house costs for the last 3-4 years, I have a feel it came to a plateau. My guess is that in terms of capital grow Lara wouldn’t go up substantially for some time. In terms of rental yield, it looks okay, though.

Armstrong Creek is having a new community with lots of 3-4 bed new houses built by investors, some of them empty. People who built in there 3-4 years ago do have tenants, people who are planning to build would have lots of competitors staying in the queue already.

8. OzziMelbourne

Why would you like to invest in Vic?
    Yes, we came from the longest lockdown in the world but Dan Andrews’ government loves putting their hands in pockets of investors.
    I am not sure what’s happening in all other states but in Vic examples are:
    Compulsory fire sensors checks annually
    Landlords almost can’t reject applications with animals anymore, so tenants have lots of rights but landlords have none
    A law is expected to come when compulsory checks of gas and electrical equipment would be introduced for rental properties. So, it’s a loss of several hundreds per annum, while such inspections must be done once per 2 years
    Lots of interesting things ...
    If I were you, I’d run from Vic

9. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Alan Fox and team

Central Coast Buyers Agents

ta
    rolf

10. Kremitz

Kremitz Active Member

It’s one of the areas I am considering given my limited budget. I like the big regional areas as a decent yield is still achievable in this areas.

11. Kremitz

Kremitz Active Member

12. Kremitz

Kremitz Active Member

Thanks for your insights.

13. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

MyPropertyPro likes this.
  14. OzziMelbourne

Well, there are plenty of regional areas that are not in Vic.
    In NSW, you can find good suburbs in Albury & considering that Albury with Wodonga represent 100K population, that’s a decent size also. Some suburbs in Albury grow up relatively well.

15. Kremitz

Kremitz Active Member

Thanks heaps Jacque!

Jacque likes this.
  16. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

BPH = Bell Post Hill, a suburb of Geelong

17. Kremitz

Kremitz Active Member

Thanks @craigc

craigc likes this.
  18. SydneyInvestor

SydneyInvestor Well-Known Member

Hi @Kremitz , were you able to pen down on a BA. I am also looking for one to buy in NSW regional. Thanks!