First subdivison - South Eastern Melbourne

Discussion in 'Development' started by dan_89, 15th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. danazz

danazz Member

Hi, I'm wondering where you've found builders to build for under $350k in Melbourne? I've gone to a few of the big builders and can't seem to find anything under $400k, and most around $450k.

I was looking at Carter Grange for a duplex side by side dual occupancy option. Nice, but yeah a bit pricey.

2. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

Hi @danazz,

I have spoken with a couple of local residential builders and all have been giving approx figures under the $350k mark for a 18-20sq two storey townhouse so definitely achievable. That is however dependent on the level of finishes and inclusions.

I know Carter Grange are known as a higher end building company so no doubt they will be on the pricey side. I would look for some smaller scale builders local to your area that, I have found most of my contacts through word of mouth and also some great contacts from property chat.

3. tonyvooz

tonyvooz Active Member

Hi Dan. Thank you for the post and all the updates. My house (in Noble Park) is very similar to yours and I wasn't sure if it's possible to subdivide but reading your post give me courage to start my project. Could you please also PM me those contacts if you don't mind? Cheers.

Also thanks to MrFox!

4. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

**UPDATE**

Some time has passed and things have progressed ever so slightly. Original plans submitted were again welcomed with negative feedback.. Primarily based on SPOS for the existing dwelling (did not have a minimum width of 5m). As per the pre-application submission, council were sticking to their hard-line approach and not approving any developments outside of the SPOS requirements.

A few changes were made and a face to face meeting was arranged by my planner with council town planners prior to re-submitting for a more personal approach and to get a better understanding for what needs to be done to get the development over the line. The revised plans are now compliant with SPOS requirements and were preferred by town planners during the meeting so hopefully will have some positive feedback within the next couple of weeks.

Carport for existing dwelling is now on the east side next to the house with a split driveway rather than behind existing dwelling which frees up a larger area and now compliant with SPOS requirements.

Based on recent comparable sales, a 18-20sqm 3/2/2 townhouse similar to what we are proposing will fetch anywhere between $760-800k depending on the level of finishes so in my eyes its worthwhile pushing ahead. The next step if knocked back will be to potentially taking it to VCAT however hopefully that is not required.

Looking forward to the challenges ahead!

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: 17th Jul, 2017
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Well done, keep forging ahead.

I got 12 objections with my Croydon, Vic 3 townhouse development, battled all the way but we got it through and did not end up at VCAT. Just make sure you have a great town planner batting for you.

All the Best

MTR:)

Archaon and dan_89 like this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I just love your avatar.... my favourite person and show:)

7. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

Current plans attached

Attached Files:

RickProp and MrFox like this.
  8. RickProp

RickProp Well-Known Member

Hi Dan,

How is this progressing? Hopefully council are coming to the party. Thanks for sharing.

Good luck with it.

9. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

Been a while since last post but things are progressing well.

Thanks to some fantastic work from my planner we have received signed planning permit following review from KCC. Managed to get through advertising without any objections which was great. Conditions as part of endorsement include landscape plan and drainage design which is now underway and a few smaller changes to plans but essentially plans have been approved as is! :D The required changes from noted conditions will be updated onto working drawings which are now in progress and will be resubmitted to council accordingly. I have also given the go ahead for thermal assessment and awaiting quotes back for structural engineer.

Approval is also required from South East Water and Knox city Council for building over easement as per plans.

I have been in touch with my broker and will be applying for pre-approval for construction loan of $320-$340k for the build. Based on preliminary assessment I should just pass on serviceability requirements (need a serviceability partner in my life apparently!)

I am also now in the process of chatting with a few local builder who I have had my eye on the last 6-12 months. If anyone has any advice for choosing a builder based on past experience, feel free to shout out! Also if you have any contacts for reliable builders in the South Eastern suburbs feel free to forward details.

I have been watching the market closely and it seems things are still moving along nicely. Attached below is a recent comparable sale for a similar townhouse in the area; This does have an additional bedroom but similar layout and size..

2/7 Roma Street, Scoresby, Vic 3179 - Property Details

I have been working my figures on the end value of townhouse being around the $680k mark sticking on the conservative side. Based on current market conditions and recent comparable sales this should be easily achievable even though the intention will be to hold long term and rent out.

Looking forward to the stages ahead. All going well, I am aiming to have the townhouse complete by end of next year worst case and hopefully sticking to my goal of a $2mill portfolio before turning 30yo in 2019.

A quick list of costs so far;
    - Original preliminary site review by original planner

$1,210
    - Development assessment and preliminary site layout
    $968
    - Design and KCC pre-application submission
    $3,124
    - Town planning stage (written submission, lodging, management of application)
    $7,592
    - Knox City Council advertising charge
    $318
    - Working drawing stage
    $3,960
    - Drainage plans
    $1,518
    - Thermal efficiency report
    $332
    - Landscape plans
    Price TBC
    -Structural engineer
    Price TBC

Total costs to date approx.
    $19,022

Will be back for next round of updates in the near future. Cheers all!

Last edited: 18th Sep, 2017
    frank22, MrFox, GOU and 1 other person like this.
  10. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

Well! Some time has past since my last post... Although it was a frustrating process dealing with council, we finally got over the line and knocked the build out in around 8 months. Finishing touches and landscaping in progress!

Will update with more details on the project through my time off

Merry Christmas to all!

Attached Files:

Green99, Angelar, Archaon and 3 others like this.
  11. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

This looks to have come up great!

I'm 95% sure I actually did the drainage on this job haha

Would love to know how if found the builder, happy for you to pm me if you don't want to post it.

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Love that black framed door! Well done mate .

13. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Looking brilliant, love seeing subdivisions get completed, they aren't easy, that's for sure.

14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I love that glass and steel door. That is to die for!
    Please post more finished pictures when you have a chance

15. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

Small world hey Brendon! I remember talking to one of your guys who mentioned the boss was into his property investing Drainage came up well! Sorry about the additional pit which had to be put in up the back corner. I never even noticed the plans showed “existing pit” which was actually non existent! All good though.

Feel free to shoot me a PM. Be good to have a chat further. Cheers mate, Merry Christmas.

16. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

Thanks all! Will post more pictures and details soon. Busy finishing off fences and landscaping before the end of year.

For anyone I interested in the internal glazed steel door - check out Steel Window Design on Instagram or website. Happy to help anyone out on PropertyChat if they are after something similar

Cheers

17. Angelar

Angelar Active Member

Looks great Dan thanks for providing the ongoing story. Looking forward to seeing your end figures.

18. lovesesan

lovesesan New Member

Hi Dan, thanks for your great post, and just saw your post today, congratulation on your build, it looks great! As we are advertising our planning permit from this week, hopefully will go through without any problems. I am in Eastern Suburb Croydon btw. I am in the process of looking at builders, so difficult have to say! Just wondering do you mind share your builder's information with me (PM)? Would love to support the local if possible too. And look forward to see your end result too. Thanks mate. :)

19. frank22

frank22 Well-Known Member

Hi Dan
    I am doing my first development in seaford victoria SE and want to build a 3bv town house at the rear .finding a good builder is a task ,do you or any one have good contacts
    Thanks

20. Nick D

Nick D New Member

Hi @dan_89 could you pm some of your contacts of consultants (town planner, surveyor, drafty). Thanks

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia