First splitter deal with joint venture

Discussion in 'Development' started by REAddict, 25th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

For splitter deal with another partner, which ownership structure to choose ?

1. Unit Trust

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Partnership

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Joint Venture Agreement

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. None, as the contract with be signed in both names as tenant in common(50% of each)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. REAddict

REAddict Well-Known Member

Hi Experts,

I am currently been offered to joint venture in a 1 to 2 splitter deal(with existing DA approval) where we will be selling one block after renovating the existing dwelling and on the other block, looking to put a relocatable home which we would renovate and then sell again. We anticipate to make some profit here, as I have been given numbers and upon my research. I have known the developer only as a facebook friend and met her a few times. Will be doing my first development with her.

Would like to know what would be the best structure to safeguard our interests and have it work flawlessly covering all the aspects of risks. After talking to my accountant, he suggested one of the following in the same order of preference :
    1) Unit Trust
    2) Partnerships as it's a legal entity
    3) Joint Venture Agreement

Her solicitor guided me that having the deal signed in both the names should be covering us and it by default means that we both are 50% partners each(Signing as 50% share of each as tenant in common) and I may not need anything extra. I am very confused and need advice from the experts here.

Appreciate your help!!

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

This question is something you need legal advice on - in addition to an 'accountant'.

A partnership is not a legal entity!

Probably consider 2 trustees of 2 separate discretionary trusts, each controlled separately, but deeds drafted in such a way that you can benefit from each. Get legal advice on the structure of the trusts and trustees, especially default beneficiaries.

The 2 trustees can be tenant in common owners of the properties.

what on earth does this even mean? What does your solicitor advise?

You also have to consider the lending side.

3. REAddict

Thanks @Terry_w . This was helpful.

When we go with the joint signing as tenant in common, I'll be using my existing discretionary with corporate trustee and other party will be using their Pty Ltd. Does that safeguard our interest or we need a separate JV/Partnership deed prepared in addition?

For lending, we will be going for private mortgages who don't need serviceability and credit checks and will lend on the basis of our project proposal, so should be okay in that front.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

why would you use an existing trust?
    And what do you mean by 'safeguard'? 2 separate buyers should always have a separate agreement as to joint ownership and who is going to do what, what happens if xx happens etc.

At the very least you would want to consider the asset protection side of this - recourse to borrowers assets, limiting guarantees etc.

5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

This seems like so many alarm bells/red flags etc.

spludgey and REAddict like this.
  6. REAddict

Yeah, to me as well. Hence, being over-cautioned and trying to understand how to protect myself from the unknowns legally. Tried calling accountant and he helped to a level, but need to get in touch with solicitor tomorrow too.

7. thatbum

If you wanted to be over-cautious, then I would be running away quick smart.

Why would you even consider something like this compared to doing a project yourself?

8. REAddict

As I do not have experience, and also, the tradesperson available in the regional city where I am doing this. Her partner is a tradie who does the renovation job himself. As first deal, would like to leverage someone's skills but being cautious that it shouldn't come with significant risk involved.

9. thatbum

This sounds even worse!

Then pay them - don't try and partner with them if you're not an equal partner knowledge wise.

10. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

No offense, but what do you bring to the table? We've got a developer and a tradie, so I'm guessing they're after you for the money?

skater and larrylarry like this.
  11. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

It sounds like a joint venture to me. One offers $ and the other offers skills. How do you value contributions? What is the actual agreement? What’s the option for dispute resolution like? What are the actual terms of the joint venture? Too many questions and too much risk it seems. Way too many of such cases turning up in the courts. Sometimes good deal can turn out bad.

12. skater

skater Well-Known Member

This was my thoughts as well.

I'm not saying don't do it, but tread very, very carefully.

13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Have you priced up the costs with plumbing electricity and local authorities bond costs for the second property as there is so many variables in that side of the deal alone apart from a family member on the payroll..
    I would be very careful with this as the turn around time's could go into years,and then walk away with nothing.

Last edited: 26th May, 2022
  14. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Everything about this deal smells bad
    Smells as you probably have all the info not us - not actually is

Few factors
    1) Regional - not always bad and not always low value but usually the case. Less threshold for costs to go up and the project to be overcapitilized
    2) Relocatable houses - These usually seem cheap on paper but end up costing way over what a new dwelling costs and in the end provide poor value. Only place this usually works is extreme regional where building is not an option or for particular era housing which isnt usually on the cheap but has a value of its own. There was a member here that did a thread about their own PPOR and it wasn't cheap
    4) Main question - has your jv partner ever done a development like this. Buying/subdividing/reno might not be a major deal as it is common and easy to cost up within reason but putting a relocatable is huge factor (quotes 99k and ends up being 200k on a 300k project is big deal).
    3) Your JV partner's partner is a tradie. Probably not an issue for the reno assuming its not too major. For the relocatable you need a builder, especially if you plan to sell. I wouldnt be suprised if the tradie has no idea about building and completely underquoted on the estimate of the new relocatable

I would be using independent solicitors/accountants and possibly talking to external trades (even if on the higher for estimates)

15. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

And depending on the tradie, they might prioritise "paying" work and just work on this to fill in the gaps.

skater likes this.
  16. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Sounds very professional. She cant raise money and begs on facelookbook for lender of last resort money. Iand you think you will make money. See the issue ? Tell me how she may be different to a scammer or a begger at a railway station ? Oh...she has a solicitor.

Her solicitor isnt your solicitor. You are not the client. "Her solicitor guided me " sounds like a significant concern. Ethcal issues ? Sure is. You are jointly and severally liable. She racks up debt (already has ??) . Bank siezes property - You get zilch. ? Thats for coming. You were scammed.

If it sounds too good to be true...probably is.

larrylarry and thatbum like this.
  17. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Besides all the red flags above do you have enough skills to be able to ensure that the project feasibility they have given you is accurate. Does it account for GST, private lending (it's expensive!! especially if you go over time), how will the partner/tradie be paid for their work (are they licensed?) etc etc

You need so much advice. I do recall a member on here being taken for a ride by a Facebook friend/developer. I wonder if I can find the link