First quarter inflation - 0% - Rate cut on the way

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Blueskies, 26th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

This will happen in around 300 years from now.

2. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor and read the article.
    In 300 years if we are still alive this would be novelty technology.

We can’t even comprehend where we will be in 10 years time let alone 300!!!
    Try and think back 15 years in comparison to now. I was blown away when I saw a colour screen on a mobile phone. I remember saying to a mate “this is ridiculous, why do we need color screens”...Nek minute smart phones which have absolutely transformed the world.
    Remember tech rapidly increases. We will be laughing at smart phones in 10 years.

Brisbane04 likes this.
  3. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

I read the article...interesting.

Still think its a long way away...imagine all the pharma companies going bankrupt because all diseases are cured. Do you think these big mobs will let that happen?

4. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Imagine if everybody drove electric vehicles, the oil industry would be bankrupt! Do you think they will let that happen...

Nanotechnology is already under heavy research with the aim of commercial applications. Whoever can it onto market could be the next multibillion dollar company. I would say in under 100 years it'll be pretty common.

5. albanga

The pharma companies will be the ones who will be investing heavily into nanotech.

6. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I think in technology, as with investment, we struggle to perceive the true nature of compounding. Our human brains simply aren't wired that way. It's an evolutionary thing - the deer running across the plain generally runs at a linear pace for us to kill to eat so our brains predict where it will be so we can get it. We don't perceive acceleration, physically or otherwise, very well at all. On face value certain tech just seems so unrealistic and far away that examples such as nanobots running through our blood curing disease feels as far away as supersonic flight felt 100 years ago.

However the reality is that we are compounding our advancements on an almost daily basis. I read an article a few months ago that stated we advanced as much in the last 6 months of 2018 as we did between 2000-2010 and the compression effect of that advancement is only increasing. I had dinner with a guy on Thursday night who is working in the space of flying taxis. Dallas has been chosen as the launch city with ops to start next year and commercial ops planned (including Sydney and Melbourne) by 2023. Our aviation regulators are already working on legislation and low level airspace planning. This is a more benign example.

I agree that it feels like certain tech is half a century or even multiple centuries away, but perception aside, my hunch is that we're merely a couple of decades away from amazing and at this stage, almost unimaginable, advances.

- Andrew

albanga and Blueskies like this.
  7. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

The market has already priced in rate cuts.
    If they don't cut, the Aussie dollar will skyrocket.
    The RBA ain't gonna like that.

8. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    VFACTS: April 2019 new car sales figures | CarAdvice

13 consecutive months of decline, overall sales tracking 8% below 2018, worst April tally since 2011.

VFACTS data submitted by car makers recorded 75,550 sales, down from 82,930 in April of 2018. The April 2019 tally is the lowest April sales result since 2011, when 74,214 new cars were sold.

Year-to-date sales sit at 344,088 units, down 8.1% on 2018’s tally. Every State and Territory with the exception of Tasmania (1.2%) are down Y-on-Y, with population hubs NSW and Victoria the worst hit.

9. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

Rates will be cut for sure...next 2-3 months...not sure if this is the answer though.

The only way out of this mess is...banks start lending properly again...apra let's banks do what they need to do...once credit becomes easier and confidence people will start borrowing.

Elections not helping either...when you have a ******* communist party (labor) trying to get in with no clue.

Construction is slowing down...this is a huge part
    of the economy...when builders/developers slow down ..........you know you are in trouble.

Blueskies and kierank like this.
  10. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

A friend of mine works in sales for Audi, he said things are as bad as he has ever seen with most car companies he talks to lowering their sales targets.

One thing is for sure, whaterer the next moves are they need to be stimulatory, house prices are one thing but evidence increasing that the real economy is struggling.

Just watched the SpaceX Falcon Heavy launch, payload delivered and all three boosters perfect landing. Inspirational. Bold call to write off Elon Musk's vision.

11. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

SpaceX will save HIM.....but tesla is done.

12. albanga

Just checking in on 2020.
    Tesla shares highest of all time. Record pre-orders for the pickup.

Any doubters ready to reconsider their doom position....

:p

Codie, Perthguy, berten and 1 other person like this.
  13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Like I said on the thread I started, why would anyone spent say $60k on a new car when it may potentially be ordered off the road in a few years because the govt/UN says it is a polluter. We have agonised for two months on spending less than $30k on something that will possibly be undrivable way before its use-by date arrives. No wonder car sales are plummeting.

On the recession/spending side of the equation, I found that the apra rules of responsible lending are definitely stifling the economy. Sure, I agree that banks must not give out loans to people who cannot repay them. I have pointed out how several businesses missed out on large sales over a three week period while my new lender processed a car loan (not a home loan) in its typically under-staffed facility.

14. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

I am liking this deflation. Last 6-7 years have seen my income drop every year, lower interest rates and cheaper prices for many goods or services and I feel like I am ahead.

Just an observation but I feel prices of goods and services are getting lower in lower socioeconomic areas. Sydney has a relatively low crime rate and it is not an issue for wealthier people to go to these areas to spend money, surely this will have a ripple effect of the coming years and business in wealthier areas will have to compete.

Really until we get rid of the cash economy and rein in underpayment (sometimes exploitation) of staff I cannot see inflation picking up again.

Angel likes this.
  15. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Tesla now worth $100bn, share price has more than doubled in the last 6 months, did you take that $1000 short position?

16. berten

berten Well-Known Member

@Speede are you okay?

Hope you didn't put your money where your mouth is. Tesla up 86% since the start of the year :p

Codie likes this.
  17. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Dont laugh yet,
    Tesla has been forced to shutdown factory in china, who knows how long? Plus collapse of chinese and asian markets, how long can they last ? Oil is getting cheaper by the day too.

18. berten

berten Well-Known Member

Anything is possible. But personally I would, and have, bet for Telsa. I wish them luck, as yes they will probably need it!

Prior to coming back to Melbourne, I was in California for 10 yrs and the number one car there was the Toyota Prius. They were quite cheap and every supermarket and workplace had free charging stations. Nissian leaf was getting popular too. Anyway, where I am going with this, is I tend to invest in companies where I personally either use and like the products myself (netflix, apple) or at least believe in them (Tesla). I've bought real estate the same way, only buying in areas I know really well. Not a boldest strategy but going okay for now :)

Last edited: 4th Feb, 2020
  19. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Very pessimistic in most of your post.

Its ok the world will go on.

It always does.

Down rampers rarely get it right or are wealthy.