first property: buy as an IP, or buy as First Home buyer

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by dryver, 19th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dryver

dryver Member

Seeking comments/feedback on this situation:
    Sam, aged 19 yrs, will be living with parents for several years to come (part-time Uni for 3-4 years, saving up for next investment, commute convenience, saving on living expenses etc), and has been working in a stable job for a couple of years, current pay 75k, expect to go to 100k in 3 years. Looking to invest in property worth 650k by June this year, and then add properties over the years.

What is the better strategy:
    (A) Buying an owner-occupier home using the first home concessions in ACT (stamp duty etc).
    Pros: low interest, low deposit, government concessions, can re-paint, tiling, yard work etc leisurely;
    Cons: can't rent out for 12 months, but have to pay rates, electricity connection charges, sewage/water etc.​
    (B) Going straight for an IP.
    Pros: rent, depreciation
    Cons: no government concessions, higher deposit
    Thanks !!!

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I used the FHOG for my first investment, but back then it was $7k and no stamp duty for established homes - plus I only had to live there for 6 months.

dryver likes this.
  3. dryver

dryver Member

Thanks for the response!
    The grant is still about the same, also no stamp duty, but the living time is 12 months now.

4. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    I would go for a PPOR because you should be able to get more leverage and purchase a better quality property. That's what I've concluded over my years of home ownership.