VIC First PPOR in Melbourne

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Rush1, 6th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Rush1

Rush1 Member

Hi guys,

Can you please assist me if my budget is under $650 000 to buy or build a house in Melbourne.

I did a bit of research and shortlisted a few suburbs which I think I can buy or build with in my budget.

These are the shortlisted suburbs :

1) Werribee
    2) Truggania
    3) Craigieburn
    4) Westmeadows
    5)Hopper Crossing

I'm fairly new to Melbourne, so I have no idea which suburb is good or bad.

My requirements are:
    1) Close to train station
    2) Property distance to Melbourne CBD should be under 35km
    3) Land size minimum 450sqm or house size should be between 250sqm to 270sqm.
    4) Good Public school or private school
    5) Good amenities if possible
    6) Family oriented area

Please help me out any other suburb I should be looking at.

2. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

Any particular reason you prefer west @Rush1 ?

3. Rush1

Rush1 Member

Because I'm only familiar with the western suburb.

4. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

There are ample suburbs nearby where you will be walking to train station, ample amenities and can get a brand new house for less than 540k on 450 sq mt land and I speculate better growth due to low pricing than nearby suburbs.

Regards

5. Abbie

Abbie New Member

6. Abbie

Abbie New Member

Hi Ashish
    I am building a house in Grove estate in Tarniet which is 28sq house on 448sqm land opp a park with 5/2/2 specs. Construction will finish by mid June and it will be on the mkt after that. The price is in your budget too.

If you are interested PM me.

7. Rush1

Rush1 Member

Which suburbs are they?

8. woofwoofpawpaw

woofwoofpawpaw Active Member

Seabrook

Seabrook primary is quite a good public primary school (IMHO)

Seabrook is just before Point Cook

Closest train station is Laverton

jujaro likes this.
  9. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

You won’t get all your wants but of your shortlist Weribee would tick the most boxes.

Have you looked at Tullamarine, Broadmeadows, Glenroy?

10. Rush1

Rush1 Member

Thanks for your suggestion. I will look into it.

I was leaning towards Werribee, however, I heard lots of antisocial behaviours in this suburb?

No, I have not. I will look into it now. Thanks for your suggestions.

11. schmucky

schmucky Active Member

St Albans (west) is still quite affordable. Alot of older houses but with your budget should be able to do quite a good reno. Demographics would play a part in where you want to live. Glenroy would be my pick for affordability up north. 46 Chedgey Drive, St Albans, Vic 3021

12. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Of that list personally I'd look at Werribee and if the budget fits probably Altona Meadows?

My 2 cents in regards to requirements and how much weight I'd put on it in order of preference:

Distance to CBD>Good schools>Family Orientated Area>Land Size>Amenities>Proximity to Train Station.

Based on my experiences:

Distance to CBD: I once rented out in Bayswater, whilst I thought I could put up with it and stuff, commuting basically took a toll after 3 months (going to the CBD and back). You simply cannot change distance no matter what and you cant get valuable time wasted on commute time back. I'd max out at 25kms.

Good schools: After becoming a father of 3 and going through the process of finding a decent school (this does not mean a school with high scores), I've truly come to appreciate schools that are not only "good" but also fitting for your child.

Land Size: I think unless it's an IP and potential to sub divide etc. or to develop a McMansion I think this is overrated for a PPOR. I grew up on my parent's 530m2 block with a 13 square 4 bedder. It was more than enough for me.

Proximity to train station: I've lived anywhere from 2km from the nearest train station to 500m, but I truly think the best proximity is about 700-800m from the station, close enough to walk but from enough from the hustle and bustle. Often though I found fringe properties were somewhat of better design/quality to make up for the distance and easier to purchase/negotiate a better price. When I was living a good 1.5km from the station I had a work around in biking to the station.

Rush1, LLKK, albanga and 1 other person like this.
  13. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Great Post.
    I to lived in Baysie! And whilst I was walking distance to the train station it still didn’t ease the fact I had to sit on that train for 2 hours a day.
    I now live much closer to the CBD but much further away from a train station. I still however walk each morning (6 minutes) to a tram and then get that to a station and then catch a 20 minute train so it’s still approximately 40 minutes a day better off.

With that said I still put a lot of value on not needing that second car. We have never had a second car and I can honestly say in 7 years we have probably needed one 2 times.

Ronald86 likes this.
  14. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Have you looked down to the south east around Frankston? You’ll get a good house for that budget with most of those requirements that you’ve set and a growing area to boot (had a recent dip like a lot of areas).

- Andrew

15. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

For that budget you could get something nice in the Northern suburbs like Epping or Mill Park. Epping has everything, literally EVERYTHING! Train station, shopping centres, restaurants, major Hospital (public & private), good schools, sporting facilities, parks etc. It's only about 20km out from the city.

albanga likes this.
  16. willister

willister Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind this one to be honest to live in, good value, in between 2 stations but closer to Ginifer. $530K is about $1,000/m2 for that piece of land but with a basic livable house. I lived in a place much further from the station, same size but a 4 bedder - my folks sold that in 2008 for $300K, so all things considered this isn't too bad FWIW.

Lived in St. Albans from 1989 to 2007 - its way better now than what it was, notably:

- The high school is quite competitive now then when I went.
    - Ginifer and St. Albans are underground, gotta be a plus with less noise.
    - Town now looks quite lively and rejuvenated with a lot of Asian/Vietnamese businesses.

Not sure of the demographics these days though, are there still issues with gangs?

17. pvfv

pvfv Well-Known Member

i dont think you will make much in gains in those areas for foreseeable future. too many new estates.

18. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

Epping is a really good area with almost everything except good public schools. I know high score does not mean it is a great school but the VCE results of Epping SC, Lalor North SC or Mill Park SC are really low.

19. hieund85

Hoppers does not have new estates. Werribee has but they are far away from the town centre. But Truganina is a new area with lots of new estates.

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  20. hieund85

You won't be able to buy a new house in Seabrook primary zone with that budget. But a good 10+yo 4 bed house is not difficult.