First "job" in 20 years

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 15th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I love it!!!
    Don't do apology in cover letter - at least I wouldn't do it in my kind of roles. Calling for more details would be good, or check Linkedin to see if the hiring person has a profile.
    When I can't find any information, I usually go with "Dear Hiring Manager" :rolleyes:

jim1964 likes this.
  2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I would reply to the ad. If they wanted people to contact them, they would have said so. And don’t apologise for not knowing the name of the person reading the application. Google whether the traditional “Dear Sir/Madam” is still appropriate.

Google the company and find out as much as you can about it. Break out your inner detective! In your cover letter address how your skills can add to their business.
    Marg

Propin, skater and Lizzie like this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Googled my freckle off in regards to the company - stalked on all social media platforms as well - not hint of any name anywhere.

Suspect it might be a small operation trying to look bigger, as many are nowadays.

Anyhow - sent and see what happens in a couple of weeks

xx

Marg4000 and EN710 like this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Ah well - wasn't unexpected but at least the process has got me thinking - and the timing really isn't right atm, with junior only on her "L"s and no bus service

"Hi Elizabeth,

We'd like to thank you for taking the time to apply for the advertised position of a Property Stylist. We have had an overwhelming response to this role, with a high calibre of applications received so far.

We thought that we would touch base with you to advise that at this stage, it is unlikely that you will move forward to our shortlist for interview.

Again, thank you for your time and best of luck with future applications.

Kind Regards,"

5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

@Lizzie at least they have the courtesy to send you a response :)
    I have been on "L" for...6 years now? Beat me Junior!

qak and Lizzie like this.
  6. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It is good they provided you with a response.

You do at least have a little bit of experience when applying for the next one.

When I was employing, I was always deluged with applications. Any job which doesn't require experience or a qualification will get a lot of applications. I just didn't have the time to continually reply.

I've given up applying for jobs which don't require experience etc. The last one, where I got to the final interview, was the best I've done. I'm going to start some training in a new career path shortly. My computing skills are too out of date; I couldn't stand going back into hospitality again.

Lizzie likes this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I know - but like many school leavers - gotta get the experience somehow ... although I do have plenty of "personal" experience, don't think it qualifies

9. geoffw

There are a number of TAFE courses out there, some of which can be done online.

You could become a licenced real estate agent. I've heard that property managers will soon have to increase their qualifications, which may provide an opportunity.

I'm going into aged care, as the course is shorter, the demand is increasing, and work hours can be quite flexible. My wife is in the care industry.

Thank you to the person who stole a big hunk of the sale of my business, who has necessitated a few more years of work!

Last edited: 18th Jun, 2019
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Just finishing up a online TAFE course ... thinking the peak of the industry is more "who you know" so will wait until we get down to the big city, reno the next property and reignite my good relationship with the local real estate agents

But - will keep the eye out as there are lots of less glam jobs in the industry

I did initially take the course for my own personal interest - and to improve my reno design ability ... no pressure so see where it leads

11. geoffw

I noticed after I posted that, that you'd done a TAFE course.

I don't know what the demand is for an interior designer - it may be that it doesn't matter what you know. You've missed out on a job for which you seemed perfectly qualified - perhaps that gives an indication of the supply.

12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Suspects oversupply - just a well I did the course for my own interest and not a job

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Oops - I did it again - this time as an Interior Design Consultant for one of the big spec home builders

Gotta get a leg in somewhere

EN710, Marg4000, skater and 1 other person like this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Your an Interior designer?

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Fresh off the boat qualification-wise ... been renovating/building for over 20 years

EN710, Redwing and Sackie like this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

OMG - just had a phone interview, prior to face to face, and think it went well ...

EN710, Propin, Islay and 2 others like this.
  17. geoffw

It's taken almost 2 months to get to a first interview?

All the best with it.

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

This was the second one I applied for ... didn't get the first. This is as an interior design consultant with one of the big builders. First one was a stylist for a home staging company.

Still took 3 weeks to get to this stage. Apparently they had 78 applicants, so I'm feeling a little chuffed just to get this far (so far)

Gockie, EN710, Sackie and 6 others like this.
  19. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Good luck Lizzie.... although you don't seem to need luck, your skills are doing just fine :).

Lizzie and wylie like this.
  20. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Good luck Lizzie.

Lizzie likes this.