First IP purchase melbourne

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by chips, 27th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. chips

chips Member

Hi all, long time watcher first time poster here.

To tell you a little bit about the position I am in, mid 20s, looking at purchasing my first property in the inner west/inner north suburbs of Melbourne, have a 160k deposit and looking at living in it for the first 12 months to get the benefits of the first home owners grant then renting it out and going travelling.

The properties that i have been looking at are older apartments/units in blocks of roughly 8 maximum (mainly in Brunswick West and surrounding areas). Looking at something that needs minor/moderate renovations that i can complete within the 12 months of living there.

My question is, should I be looking more towards getting a 2 bed unit with a small courtyard and maxing out my loan amount of 600 (to get first home owners grant) or purchase something slightly cheaper with no courtyard based on my future plans of going travelling and renting out (cheaper mortgage repayments, easier to renovate).

Any opinions and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

I would look at rental on 1 vs 2 bedroom apartments in that area. Possibly slightly better yield on 1br which will help your cash flow

3. chips

chips Member

Good idea i never really looked into 1br apartments as of yet, what would the capital gain be like on 1br vs 2br in these areas? or have i already missed the boat for any decent capital gain in Melbourne?

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Having owned 1br and 2br, I'd say go for as big as your money allows. Have a look for a 3BR if you can as they are rare.

If there is a courtyard, make sure it is on title. Many have some fenced off common area that you might find can be reconfigured later. Also make sure car park is on title as an accessory unit (on the s32).

Remember ground floor is less secure (although obviously better for mobility limited people), and more prone to rising damp issues etc (although it might be good to be the first to know so you can sell out!)

The Y-man

5. The Y-man

FYI - our 1br in Prahran has gone from a bank val of $350k in 2005 to ......$320k in 2016.... :oops:

The Y-man

6. chips

chips Member

After a quick scan around on previous sales on 1br and 2br apartments in that area i have actually noticed quite a few of them have gone down in value which is not really ideal, maybe apartments are not a great investment at this stage?

I am weighing up whether to purchase inner suburbs and not get much for my money or even looking out a bit further (pascoe vale, altona north etc) and possibly getting a unit/villa with a decent courtyard BUT is location key for future rentals and short term gains? In those areas I will still be looking close to public transport (trains) and for something that needs a bit of work...

7. The Y-man

Well the counter view is that it might be good to buy in a dip - but you need to find out what is driving the prices down. If it is a steady stream of newer, brighter, shinier apartments in the area, then prices aren't going to recover until there is no more development/redevelopment.

Location is key - especially transport and shopping.

We bought a 3BR unit in Clayton South in 2000 for $165k. It's now over $650k.
    We bought a 3BR unit in Epping in 2013 for $280k. It's probably now clocking over $400k.

Doesn't even have to be a unit at 600k
    99 Peppercorn Parade, Epping, Vic 3076 - Property Details
    8 Brownlow Crescent, Epping, Vic 3076 - Property Details
    45 Foxzami Crescent, Epping, Vic 3076 - Property Details

The Y-man

8. chips

chips Member

Great thanks for all the help, i think that might be the case in Brunswick west as i know of at least one possibly two big apartment developments going up there.

Unsure if i would want to travel out as far as Epping due to working in the other direction, but have found a place in Essendon that i think would be worth a crack, id value your opinion on it. I think it has a lot of potential to renovate and its in a great location for what seems to be a fair price... but i know what auctions have a tendency to do.

1/136 Hoffmans Road Essendon Vic 3040 - Unit for Sale #126274390 - realestate.com.au

9. The Y-man

Holy crap, what is wrong with the ceiling/floor?

The Y-man

10. chips

chips Member

Hah, great spotting.

If you ask me it looks to be a leaking shower or bath going off where its positioned, and unsure about the floor at first glance i didn't notice anything but looking again it seems to look like its slumping downwards to me? (if your referring to the workshop floor)

11. The Y-man

Just meant the ceiling of the workshop / floor of whatever is above it :)

The Y-man

chips likes this.