VIC first IP in Werribee

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by SydneyInvestor, 18th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

@sash you're the PC H&L Melbourne expert now. :)

ross100 likes this.
  2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yes...very hard...but the 12.5 by 21 stuff is pretty good as you can get a 3x2x2 with 3-4m of back yard or more with the right design. Try Trevor homes who will do a custom build in the area for a very competitive price.

Observer likes this.
  4. sash

sash Well-Known Member

We on the last purchase in Armstrong Creek I had to take 10-15 drop as it was ready over Xmas and wanted it rented quickly. Total build cost 337k...rent 380pw.

The one in Mickleham....303k build cost with expected 350-360pw rent.

Officer....320k build expected rent 350-360k.

On those numbers positive to neutrally geared from day one without depreciation. With depreciation...I take it town on CF+ income.

For example 337k build costs me about $14,500 I/O, plus rates/water $2000, insurance $800, plus management $1000. Rent is 19,380 (1 week vacancy) expenses $18,300. So positive about 1k.

Mickleham I/O loan (today's rate) $14,000 plus rates water $2000, insurance $800, mgnt 1000. $17,800 for expenses...rent 17,940. So about neutrally geared.

The beauty is the depreciation aobut $12k in the first year. On my income that is 6k in the pocket!

ross100 and Observer like this.
  5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Nope you are.....thanks for the tip on Dennis Family already put $500...just working through details ......I am just the PC tightarse small lot developer who wants a high grade finish.

Are you doing any more builds?

6. Observer

Observer Well-Known Member

Thanks @sash. How long did it take for the land to settle since signing contracts for those three H&Ls? Is it in the range of 1-1.5 years?

7. melbournian

if you really want to push the numbers (some spec builders like the balkan builders - croats, serbians and bosnian) they do even lower numbers than the volumes although there are some risks due to being a smaller builder.

I'm not doing any more builds. i'll see if i can offload 1 and then view my options. there are margins of $50K to get new land and organize and then wait off the rents but i find it quite troublesome with all the organizing etc. wanting to see if there are other more higher growth options around. there is no more boom coming anytime soon so manufacturing growth is the only way forward

8. ross100

ross100 Well-Known Member

I guess both Melbournian/Sash share, on writing a book ;)

9. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

How do you guys find the cost of the house? On the builder’s websites they have specs and photos but no $$. A quick email or phone call I assume?

10. THX

THX Well-Known Member

Yep but be aware that the base cost of a house is not the cost to build it.

11. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

Hi melbournian

How is the demand for these? I can see that the numbers work on paper but is the end product actually selling for the price you want?

12. melbournian

i sold one for 430K last year and hoping to close the deal to sell another one 445K with my tenant this year. I was cash flow positive for the day i had it rented. Both were cash flow positive as they were basically bought and build in cash without loans. THe margins are gained through not doing everything with the buidler such as concreting driveways, Lanscaping, fencing, stone benchtops and few other items to make up the margins. I did one to lockup and managed the rest through sourcing and picking the finishes. I wouldn't do this way again as it's quite a bit of work and the tenants on this side of town can be troublesome. i much prefer a single place to focus on.

Sackie and EN710 like this.
  13. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Any view on merrifield estate in mickleham? The land isn't cheap.

14. ross100

ross100 Well-Known Member

Hi Sash
    How about Laverton, old houses or new ones there near the train station or is Tarneit a better location.

15. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

IMO, the horse has bolted in Laverton.
    E.g. 470K for 56 Maher Road Laverton Vic 3028 - House for Sale #122411986 - realestate.com.au
    By the time you include the closing costs and Town planning permit for 3 dwellings it is 510K or 170K as the land cost per dwelling. Assuming a conservative build cost of 170K per dwelling, there is hardly any margin left in the deal to undertake an almost 2 year project.

Last edited: 3rd May, 2016
    ross100 likes this.
  16. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

17. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

That is old news.....

18. Air_Bender

So do you reckon it won't get the go ahead from the Andrews government?

19. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I was reading all the plans and proposals etc over a year ago, but you know how things often go.....I cannot recall if it was already approved, I think it was....

20. Air_Bender

Fair enough. However with the Andrews government being all about jobs, jobs, jobs and growing Melbourne I can't see him saying no to this project. If anything I think he'll probably claim it as a Labor victory over an indecisive Liberal party.