QLD First IP in South Brisbane?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Skidder, 19th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cate Bell

Cate Bell Well-Known Member

Too many areas. When I look at a market that I haven't invested before, I look at top growth areas (as a guide only)- and look in those areas or around those areas. I currently have house and land at Ashgrove (which I have held for 30 plus years- and has always been a growth suburb) and just purchased at Thorneside (Bay area) - another house and land. If you are going over the south side, I would venture to Thorneside which isn't far and have a look at all the new development there, plenty of $ coming into the area. From the first areas that you mentioned, I would be looking around Carina/ Carina Heights/Carindale. I also have a property at The Gap, that I have had for over 25 years, and that is a nice family suburb, around 10km from the CBD which has a school zoning of The Gap High, which is a top school on the league table (consider the local school zoning and catchment area) - always let and for the $600Ks you might get lucky. Good luck with your search.

TOP GROWTH SUBURBS IN BRISBANE

Suburb - Median house price - % change in 12 months

1. Lamb Island - $220,000 - 37.5%

2. Kangaroo Point - $983,500 - 26.1%

3. Dunwich - $442,500 - 24.4%

4. Sandgate - $758,750 - 22.4%

5. Hamilton - $1,300,000 - 20.9%

6. Chandler - $1,605,000 - 19.8%

7. Paddington - $1,150,000 - 17.3%

8. Coochiemudlo Island - $322,500 - 17.3%

9. Corinda - $840,000 - 16.6%

10. Nundah - $755,000 - 16.2%

11. Alderley - $840,000 - 15.9%

12. Sunnybank - $850,000 - 15.6%

13. Point Lookout - $970,000 - 15.5%

14. Gaythorne - $720,000 - 15.2%

15. Shorncliffe - $868,500 - 15%

16. Norman Park - $967,500 - 14.9%

17. Brookfield - $1,125,000 - 14.2%

18. Gordon Park - $880,000 - 12.8%

19. Graceville - $950,000 - 12.3%

20. Chelmer - $1,150,000 - 12.2%

21. Ascot - $1,602,500 - 12.1%

22. Greenslopes - $820,000 - 11.6%

23. Ashgrove - $1,000,000 - 11.1%

24. Yeerongpilly - $810,000 - 11%

25. Thorneside - $535,750 - 10.7%

26. Carina Heights - $725,000 - 10.7%

27. New Farm - $1,545,500 - 10.4%

28. Hemmant - $535,000 - 10.3%

29. Fortitude Valley - $970,000 - 10.2%

30. Cleveland - $625,000 - 10.1%

(Source: realestate.com.au, CoreLogic, based on data to August 31, 2018

2. QldKoolies

QldKoolies Well-Known Member

24 Hadfield Street, Windsor, Qld 4030

All the banter aside mate id be aiming for something like this, inner city, gentrifying area. This pocket is probably the best value in Bris i’d be going for it if the timing was right. Markets in there, bowls club (bar) parks, good schools, surrounded by cafes and transport options. Easy bike ride or scooter into the city for work.

3. Leeroy93

Leeroy93 Well-Known Member

Agree I think proximity and transport options are great value in some inner north areas. That property has a flood and acid sulfate overlay so will always be somewhat limited from an add-value perspective. Character control can also be a blessing and a curse depending on the goal for the property. This may limit flexibility for the future buyer at some point, although I understand traditional Qlders that need a little work are in demand.

4. QldKoolies

QldKoolies Well-Known Member

Absolutely, buy no property without due diligence. Even though half of Brisbane is in the sulfate overlay, interstate buyers beware of creek flooding and overland flow. I advise to make sure you’ve got a neighbour below you as overland flow and storm water is the real kicker in Bris.
    Have nothing to do with the deal on this one but I bet the neighbours will do the heavy lifting on improving the value of this home over time for which looks was bought for not far off land value. The good deals are still out there in Bris close to the city - for now.

5. JS21

JS21 Member

Hi Cate. We haven't met before, and I'm sure you're a nice person day to day, but I can't help but chime in after reading your strong, arrogant opinions on why Buyers Agents are a waste of money and give the general impression you can do better yourself.

Particularly after reading the two sections in your comments above, which I have highlighted in bold. House and land package? Seriously? In Thorneside (miles away from the high income earning jobs where most of the affluence is, with a low demand market)? Surely someone with your knowledge and experience should know how incredibly overpriced the house and land packages are? Having been offered huge commissions to market this kind of stock in the past, do you know how much developers and marketers make from each sale? Who pays for that? Good way to spend tens of thousands over the intrinsic value of a property.

Strategic experienced Investment Property Strategists who have had years of experience building out clients property high growth portfolios are worth their weight in gold. They spend every day in the market, know the top performing pockets back to front, get the inside word on off-market and pre-market opportunities (around 30% of properties that sell don't make it online), know the intrinsic value of property and don't step above that mark and negotiate hard on your behalf - often saving you their fee at the negotiation table.

Or you can take a stab at it yourself and hope that you strike lucky. If you buy a dud, or even an average property, you'll spend 5-10 years waiting for the growth you'd hoped for that will never come, cost yourself an opportunity to leverage quickly into property 2, 3 and 4. These mistakes are often in the hundreds of thousands of dollars (after taking into account compounding etc).

Property investment is a long-term game. It's often years before we realise how well or poorly we've done. We only really get one shot at building a quality portfolio (active development aside) given the time it takes for property cycles to do their thing. I'd rather get it right from day 1 and use a quality strategic BA to lock into high growth areas, have access to off market opportunities, negotiate on my behalf and get me a good deal, rather than taking a stab and hoping for the best. But that's just me. Each to their own.

You know what they say, if you're the smartest person on your team, you are in trouble!

6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I think you misunderstood, she didn’t buy a house and land package.... she bought a house on land. Huge difference.

7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

@Joshua Sawyer
    How long have you lived here?

I think someone's very very early contribution to the Forum would be better spent reading a bit more about the person whose post you are criticising. As a new member, this being your third post, you might want to reconsider the look. Criticising someone who has invested in and lived in this city for at least 30 years means you are criticising someone who IS very experienced. Three paragraphs of your above post read like they came straight off a business's website, poor grammar and all.

Realistically a brand new house built in a (then) new estate in The Gap would now be 25 years old. Perhaps it was an established house. But I strongly doubt it would be possible to purchase a "house and land package" in Ashgrove thirty years ago.

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Hi @Skidder. Have you been to Brisbane yet, any thoughts?