[First IP] Cheaper vs Dearer? Cashflow or Capital growth? Regional v Capital?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by PapayaJam, 28th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

As your first investment property, would you rather buy...

1. One expensive property in a capital city with a capital growth-focus

78.6%
  2. Multiple cheaper regional properties with decent capital growth as well as positive cashflow

21.4%
  1. PapayaJam

PapayaJam Member

Hi all,

I'm an aspiring property investor who's been lurking for a few months here educating myself. I now want to take the plunge, but want to test with you some of the ideas that have formed in my head.

With the seemingly boundless amount of sheer information, wisdom and insight to be found in PropertyChat, I have decided that I want to get involved in this hot market sooner rather than later. So I decided to engage a buyer's agent to help in not only buying my first investment property interstate (I'm based in Canberra), but also in giving me some guidance and education.

Just based on what cursory reading I've done here, I decided to start by looking at BAs in NSW with a view to purchasing a property in a regional hub. This was initially inspired by the book I've read by Steve McKnight (0 to 130 property in 3.5 years), and though I have seen many say that much of the strategies therein are now outdated, I also feel like I've seen enough people who still see merit in buying positive cashflow properties in regional areas.

So I got in touch with a couple of BAs, and the first one seemed to confirm my initial thinking. We had a good, lengthy conversation but if I am to summarise the key takeaways, they would be:
    - Buy in regional hubs with good fundamentals
    - Buy a cheaper property for the first IP, as it will be lower risk and much quicker to turn into positive cashflow (able to pay down the debt quicker)

The second BA that I spoke to however, while also being very detailed and helpful in his advice, seemed to promote a different approach:
    - Good suburbs in capital cities (notably the northern suburbs in Sydney) cannot be beaten in terms of capital growth prospects
    - Capital growth is the more effective strategy than focusing on positive cashflow in terms of the compounding growth long term
    - Buying a more expensive property in an established area is low risk due to the better growth prospects, and will provide better returns in the longer term, rather than 'diversifying' by buying multiple cheaper properties in regional areas that have lower prospective capital growth rate.
    - That said, if I want to buy a relatively cheaper property, then Adelaide is also a good choice.

Both of their ideas seem to have merit, but I do not have the experience or knowledge to separate the wheat from the chaff, so I am now turning to you.

1. If you had $1 million, would you buy one property that maxes out your budget OR multiple smaller properties?
    - I feel this inherently also includes the question of 'Regional v Capital'. Are some good suburbs in Sydney vastly superior to regional areas? Is Adelaide the better choice than regional NSW?
    - I've only looked at NSW so far, but I've also seen many of you here talk excitedly about Brisbane/QLD. If I am to engage a BA, which areas should I look for as their expertise, given the current market conditions/prospects?

2. I've seen it said in many places that it is no longer as easy to find positive cashflow properties, or even if you do the growth prospects are so poor they are not very good investment choices.
    However, I find the notion of negatively geared properties very unattractive for the obvious reason that I have to make up the shortfalls out of pocket while there are never any guarantees that the value will rise.
    So I want to be able to buy properties that are at least cashflow neutral (if not ever so slightly positive) while being able to maximise capital growth potential. Thoughts?

2. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

- Bad Deal
    - Good deal
    - Great Deal
    There's always plenty of all of the above available all over the country.
    Knowing the difference not so much.
    On the good side, rising tide lifts all ships.

3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Buy and hold is a bet on the future.

you have to decide what you think the odds are. If there is no capital growth on capital or regional property, you lose either way. If both go up, capital is likely to perform better (capital growth not taxed until you sell). If regional goes up but capitals dont (imho very low probability event).

personal opinion only. If there is the income to handle the cashflow, houses in capitals even if negative cashflow, but only if you believe there will be capital growth including redevelopment potential). Old houses in suburbs do have better yields.

but of course different for each person.

spoon likes this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Hi @PapayaJam

Welcome.
    I hope one thing that has come through all your reading is that there is no "one size fits all" answer.

Many have asked the question in the Victorian context of late, and you can see my response in them:
    Is anyone getting anxious about Melbourne’s housing market?
    Melbourne investment properties eastern suburbs
    IP - Where to invest - 750k-850k [VIC]

As you can see, for the "million dollar" question in Melbourne at least, I personally would be going for 2 x $500~600k type thing.

Perhaps more pertinently, my own personal preference to the horror of many experienced property investors here - is to simply "look in your own back yard".

I am not saying using a BA is a bad idea - but don't assume they have the same intimate knowledge of a place as you in a suburb you live in. Maybe one idea is to do what we blindly did at the start - that is to look at a place you can afford and would be happy to live in.

While many people will say "investment property is not the same as looking for your home" - I say fundamentally, it IS going to be someone's home (otherwise you would be looking at commercial property) - so as long as your tastes are not outright bizarre, you will know "what to buy". As for "where to buy" - again unless you are outright strange, you live in a particular place due to certain needs - and as long as those needs are not vastly different to a large number of people - why not start there?

When we started, we bought a unit thinking "we want to stop renting - let's buy a place of our own" - so we searched high and low and decided on a place. We bought it, and found out it would rent out for more rent than we were paying where we lived! The decision was easy. Note we didn't consider anything like hot market, cold market, future growth... none of that. Just that we could afford it and it was in a good location for our needs (shopping, getting to work), and it was in decent nick (definitely do a B&P). That was about it!

Anyway, in case you have some time to waste :D:
    Hi from The Y-man

The Y-man

Kevbo, Ben20 and Optimus like this.
  5. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

There is only one answer and that is you need BOTH.

Don't be a fool and think only chasing CG will work and dont be a fool thinking that only chasing Yield will work.

You need to find properties that provide a balance that both are present. They are not mutually exclusive.

Kevbo and Ben20 like this.
  6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

You need to look at what works for you.

When we started we were on a very small income. The only thing we could afford was a home on the very outskirts of Sydney which was cf+ when we bought. It worked out great, with good CG, so we continued buying cf+ property.

The reason I prefer cf+ is that it doesn't take away from your income. It pays for itself. If you buy on the outskirts of a large city, the tide will lift it, along with all the more expensive homes when CG comes along.

I've bought regionals as well, and while you do get both CG and cf from a regional, there is often a longer wait for growth than there is in the cities.

If I was actively looking for something to purchase right now, I'd be looking in Qld, Adelaide or Perth.

Good luck

Kevbo and Ben20 like this.
  7. PapayaJam

PapayaJam Member

Thank you all for your insights. I think I'm getting a better idea of the kind of perspective I should be having. One thing I'd still be keen to get your views on is - even if I broadly settle on the area I'd like to invest in, is it better to get one expensive property or multiple that fits within my budget?

8. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

With $1m you could buy a $3m commercial property yielding say 7.5% funded at say 2.5%.
    So we have rental $225k
    Interest $2m @ 2.5% $50k
    Net profit before tax $175k pa:)

If you have some equity in your current portfolio so you could a million out then we could have a $6m property

rental of. $450k
    Interest $2m @ 2.5% $50
    Interest $3m @2% $60
    Net profit before tax $340k pa:D

If your parents have some equity ($10m) in their current portfolio so you could lever off their portfolio then we could have
    A $40m property

rental of $3m
    Interest $2m @ 2.5% $50k
    Interest $3m @2% $60k
    Interest $34m @2.5% 850k
    Net profit before tax $2,040k pa :p
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: 28th May, 2021
  9. The Y-man

I got the feeling it's $1m INC loan..... :)

The Y-man

10. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

:eek: ohh :confused:

11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yep! That's what I'm thinking too.

12. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

:eek:Ohno :rolleyes:

skater and The Y-man like this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

'Expensive' is a word which has led many investors astray.

Buy value. Buy value. Buy value.

As long as your financial situation can handle the neg cashflow comfortably.

I would also suggest buy add value ability. You don't need to be a developer to add value to a home. But you need a home with add value potential if value is to be added.

My broad recipe:

1. Invest according to your risk tolerances/financial situation
    2. According to your goals
    3. Buy add value deals
    4. Buy high demand OO areas OR ripple areas.

14. PapayaJam

PapayaJam Member

Please excuse my ignorance but could you further elaborate on this? I have not thus far considered commercial properties at all but if my understanding is correct you seem to be suggesting that I could buy a property that is worth several times more than the amount I can borrow. Do loans somehow work differently with commercial properties?

15. The Y-man

I think he thought you had $1m cash to spend (not borrowed)

The Y-man

Beano likes this.
  16. Shamrock1

Shamrock1 Well-Known Member

1. I’d buy 1 for $1M as you can buy in a better suburb for strong capital growth in the city or big regional areas such as Newcastle/Central Coast/Wollongong.

There are plenty of smaller regionals showing capital growth I’m sure but generally over the long term you’re better off in the areas above.

In my opinion $500k won’t let you buy in a good enough suburb.

2. I have IP’s in Newcastle and Central Coast that I purchased in the last 2 years and both are cash flow neutral.

With rental market so hot and interest rates so low you could easily buy in these areas and be neutral. Not sure about Sydney I don’t have any experience there

17. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Correct :rolleyes:

18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

1 mil cash with a loan of 2 million.

That's 3 million mamacitas in one asset. For a newbie looking for his first IP...

No one is talking about risk tolerance for this guy....I doubt even @PapayaJam is aware of the risks even if he/she did have the capital.

skater likes this.