First IP anywhere in Aus with CG and land banking

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by abc_property, 15th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. abc_property

abc_property Member

Hi all
    Looking to buy my first IP for last few yrs :( with not much luck, would like to seek some experts advise/recommendation on suburbs so I can narrow it down to do my personal research. Been reading lots of useful information but its time for some execution.
    A bit about me. Im from Sydney, dont have a property but have reasonable amount saved up for deposit. I may consider moving to Qld in few years time and was thinking maybe I should look into area close to CBD for IP something like Aspley or Zillmere with an option of later using it as PPOR to start a family.

For an IP, I would like to buy an established property with good piece of land (land banking) that can be developed or sub-divided in 5-10 yrs time while achieving at least neutral cash flow or else happy to buy few properties with negative cash flow and couple with positive to balance it out. The main focus is CG.
    Dont mind to spend few $$ to update it as long as it has solid foundation (red brick houses) either doing some work myself or hiring a trade person. I have worked as a painter in the past so can do some paint work, some hard labour (provided the property is in Vic, Qld or NSW easy access)

Been thinking may be I should buy first IP in Sydney to maximise the borrowing then buying something in other states (SA, QLD)? with banks tightening up on investment loans. Your thoughts?
    Or I should buy few around 300K houses in different states eg SA or QLD(been looking in Vic and Qld).
    Please let me know if any additional information is required. Open to all suggestions and recommendation.

Many thanks.

2. abc_property

abc_property Member

Anyone with suggestion about the suburbs with good CG that one can do land banking on?

3. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

Just a note, expert advise in property, if such a thing existed, will cost money and expert advisors dont lurk forums to help people so take everything you hear on here with a grain of salt :)

Depending on how much money you have, if I was in your position and I wanted some quick gains, (provided you could afford) I would only consider inner-west and western suburbs of Sydney or Melbourne. Reason? purely the fact that these states are better positioned from employment and infrastructure point of view.

If long-term, I would look into Perth.

I would stay far from anywhere in QLD, SA, Tasmania etc. I work in employment market and I know for a fact that at least from an employment perspective these states arnt going anywhere. Unless if we had a mining boom but are you prepared to take that risk?

The reason I mentioned Perth is that the prices have been going backwards and vendor expectations is far more manageable. Therefore you may be able to get some good bargains and despite it may not be short-term, that place has to recover and go back up. You should be able to get decent land that is either positive or neutral from cashflow point of view but do your research.

aussieB and Loverenting like this.
  4. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

I would stay away from buying in any market that is peak(ing). Be it Sydney or Melbourne.

Perth is bottom(ing) out. Plenty of great deals around but ONLY BUY if you find a GREAT bargain - no need to rush as it's a buyers market over here. When will Perth boom again? Maybe in 2 years or maybe in 5 years.

The most important thing is not to overpay for assets and buying quality stock with long term growth drivers.

Perthguy likes this.