WA First Home Time

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Notus, 4th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Notus

Notus New Member

Hi there,
    Currently poking around at a first home in Perth (can be open to south west, joys of IT work).

I can go to up to 380k and should have all my ducks in a row by end of next week with approvals.

My plan is to occupy for a few years then down the line (2023-24) let it out when I move on to other things.

Interested in cap gains, but, don't want to have it bleed me dry on cash flow either.

In that price point and keeping it safe I'm looking at alot of older villas/townhouses around Maylands/Bayswater/Vic Park/Bentley (Curtin side).

Happy to hear some thoughts and suggestions.

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

You don't have any personal preferences for what sort of property you want to live in? If there aren't, I'd be telling you to find the worst livable house (with internet I guess) with the biggest land component you can find.

Otherwise personally I wouldn't want to live anywhere without FTTP NBN, which does limit it a bit in Perth.

3. Notus

Notus New Member

That's pretty close to my mindset, the biggest chunk of land for a livable place I can stand for a few years. I don't want to be maintaining a dump that needs repairs sucking up cash every second week to avoid being condemned of course but it doesn't have to be built last week either.

My preferences are very much location based, preference in Perth is looking within the inner 10 or 15 km of the Perth CBD, but, not the CBD itself. Avoiding units but not adverse if a location argument could be made.

Yep, if that was the sole criteria it pretty much tells me Vic Park, Carlisle, Rivervale.

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

5. Notus

Notus New Member

Yea, the Morley one had crept onto the radar. The other curve ball that had come up was I maybe able to do a private sale on a early 2000's build 3x1 detached villa with 2 garages on 190 SQM in Maylands with no strata on the limits of my budget.

6. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

You have a few options for fttp - greater Vic Park area, greater South Perth/Como, and greater Applecross area.