First Home - PPOR - Kitchen Renovation Ideas

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by xdfubar, 17th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. xdfubar

xdfubar Active Member

Definitely. But it's easy to get ideas together and play around with ACAD :)

2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

What's an ACAD?
    I know, I'm doing the same. Really should get someone who knows what they're talking about to take a look and tell me what's possible ;)

3. xdfubar

xdfubar Active Member

CAD = Computer Assisted Drawing (A for Autodesk which is just the software brand).
    It's what I'm using to just draw up plans.

Yep. I'm doing as much reading and youtube watching as I can!
    That and being on forums such as this one and hoping that generous people (like wylie) are happy enough to freely provide input.

Have had trades around to have a look and a chat, just waiting on those quotes to come back! :)

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm hesitant to state a price, but my memory with our son's house was that the hanging beam that would be in the roof trusses, and which would have made the whole room open plan with no beams, would have cost somewhere $1k to $2k

The reasons they didn't do that were because, whilst it was easy to do because the ceilings were being replaced, it meant removing the asbestos end gable because that length beam couldn't come up the stairs easily and it had to come in from the side, which meant the end gable had to be removed. It was asbestos, and having to remove it also meant replacing it, which meant more cost.

It was just adding up quickly, and they decided the existing beam which needed the post would work because of where it sat in relation to the island bench, and the stools stopped people walking into the beam.

The room still looked very open. If the post had to sit in the middle of nowhere, it would have looked a bit weird. So plan around the post if you can (and save a few thousand) would be my suggestion.

5. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

Might be worth bringing fridge next to dishwasher?

6. wylie

I would be putting the kitchen backing onto the bathroom and having a larger living and dining area without the kitchen being in the middle of them both. I think the dining area would feel less "hemmed in" if it was flowing from a living area and it would look out to the deck.

You could leave a partial wall to hide the fridge so that as you walk up the stairs you see a 800mm deep wall that hides the side of the fridge. If you put the fridge anywhere else, it is going to sit out past the bench tops. I always like to tuck the fridge away so it sits flush with the rest of the kitchen.

But if you tuck it behind a partial wall, then the rest of the kitchen can step back and it is not so obvious as if the fridge is sitting in the middle of a run of cupboards and much preferable to being able to see the side of a fridge. They aren't pretty from the side.

7. xdfubar

xdfubar Active Member

Will definitely keep this in the back of my mind. But to be honest, at the cost of a couple of thousand, I would probably prefer the full open plan.

Would prefer to keep the fridge at the top of the plan. With a planned deck to the right of the plan, I think a fridge near there would obstruct the view onto the deck and possibly the doors.

Here's a quick mock up with the kitchen next to the bathroom.

[​IMG]
    This would require full re-works of the plumbing since the current kitchen is in the top right hand corner at the moment. This may not be a big issue with plumbing to the bathroom already nearby. Would need someone with experience to chime in.

I would like to keep the entrance to the stairs as open as possible. Whether or not this is a better design choice, I don't know. I just feel like when I walk up the stairs, I'd prefer to not see a wall or half a wall. Similar to walking into a bathroom and the first thing staring at you is a toilet.

The above mock up only leaves 1885mm for a dining table, which isn't enough. I think 2500-3000 would be ideal. But this is more space than the previous layout. I can also reign in the fridge size too. A standard bottom mount fridge is approx. 800mm wide. Would bring the island back to either a 1800-2100 length as well. This would make the dining area at least 2100-2200 wide.

edit. Layout with reduced fridge/island.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 24th Apr, 2016
  8. wylie

Moving plumbing will only be an issue if you have rooms underneath. Our son did have a few rooms but they were being renovated and ceilings were being ripped out and resheeted so moving plumbing was easy. What do you have under the kitchen area?

9. xdfubar

xdfubar Active Member

This is the current layout for downstairs. It's not to scale or measured correctly, but gives the rough layout as it is now.

[​IMG]

Current plan is to finish upstairs first, then do downstairs at a later date.
    Will be leaving the rumpus and bed 4 pretty much as is. Turn the living area into a master bedroom. The laundry to become an ensuite. The top right corner to become a WIR.

The existing bathroom and WIR to combine to become a second main bathroom with concealed laundry. This will have two doors, one to bed 4 and one to the rumpus for a two way ensuite.

10. wylie

... then you can put your plumbing upstairs wherever you want because you will be changing the downstairs.

11. xdfubar

xdfubar Active Member

Only the bathroom/laundry areas. Wasn't planning on changing the ceilings in the bedroom/living room. Is it just a matter of removing the ceilings and resheeting later on?

I guess that would just be the cost for a few gyprock sheets, some plastering and repainting plus labour.

12. wylie

Agree. For the cost of resheeting the ceiling downstairs, you get the kitchen placement that work upstairs.

13. xdfubar

xdfubar Active Member

Wow. It's been over a year! Forgot to update this post.
    I'll have to trawl through photos and see if I can find better ones for you all.

The before photo is one I just grabbed off the old house listing. It was much worse in person.
    Ended up taking out the wall (full engineered beam in the ceiling).

You can see in the photos where the wall use to be, right next to the window (where the clock is in the after photo).

The wife vetoed any galley kitchen ideas, so just ended up with a L shape one and an island bench. To the left of the pantry is just a space for the fridge (about 1000mm wide or so) with cabinets on top as well.
    _OldKitchen.jpg IMG_1645 (Large).JPG

Something_Wrong and zingerman like this.