First home owners grant NSW after 1 July 2018

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by AmeliaAch, 1st Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AmeliaAch

AmeliaAch New Member

Hi all,
    I need to sell my place this year, which is in a suberb popular with first home buyers in Sydney. An agent suggested to put it on the market ASAP as the government maybe removing the first home buyers stamp duty concessions from 1 July. I was wandering what other people think about that? Anybody else suspects this year might be the end of the FHG in NSW?

Thanks for any input!

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I strongly suspect that the NSW Government is not planning on removing the FHG from 1 July 2018. I hold this view because, aside from the fact that it is not a vote winner, the Govt collections of stamp duty associated with property purchases is way down since the real estate market has cooled its heels. Putting a hurdle in front of FHBs who want to get into the market will not help 2nd & 3rd home buyers who are upgrading or downgrading and paying full stamp duty to do so, is not a way to increase revenue into govt. coffers.

I suspect therefore that your agent friend merely wants your listing ASAP so he can make some commissions ASAP. :rolleyes:

Property Twins likes this.
  3. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

What @Propertunity said

I don't see them making it more challenging for FHB, it is challenging as it is.

4. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

If the state government is serious about increasing supply ,and wants to keep employment in the building industry ticking along ,there is a possibility that they may change the exemptions and grants to new builds only.
    Just means if you have an established home , FHB wont get the grants.