First Home Buyers Grant NSW

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Shawn, 9th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

Good evening all,

In relation to the FHB Stamp Duty concessions taking effect from 1 July 2017, I wanted to ascertain if that applied to those who had never bought a property in Australia prior or does it just apply for NSW?

I own properties interstate but live in Sydney. Have not bought my first PPOR yet, would this make me eligible ?

2. Kis Kis

Kis Kis Well-Known Member

Not Eligible

3. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

Could anyone else kindly confirm the answer?

This will result in a change to my strategy, which I'm looking to implement ASAP.

Thanks.

4. Gibson

Gibson Well-Known Member

The previous scheme which allowed for stamp duty exemptions for properties in NSW was called First Home Plus. The eligibility criteria was such that you could not have previously owned a property anywhere in Australia, regardless of PPOR or investment. I believe the new scheme, with its more generous exemptions will retain the same eligibility criteria.

The relevant piece from the NSW OSR website was :

An 'eligible purchaser' is a natural person (ie not a company or trust) at least 18 years of age who has not, and whose spouse/de facto has not:

• at any time owned (either solely or with someone else) residential property in Australia other than property owned solely as trustee or executor

• previously received an exemption or concession under First Home Plus.
    • First Home Plus | Office of State Revenue

5. Loverenting

Loverenting Well-Known Member

There is a different eligibility requirement applied for the current First Home Owner Grant (New Homes) Scheme:

"You or your spouse (including de facto spouse) have never held a relevant interest in any residential property in Australia prior to 1 July 2000

However, you may be eligible if you or your spouse, including de facto spouse, have only had a relevant interest in any residential property in Australia on or after 1 July 2000 and you have not resided in that property for a continuous period of at least 6 months."

6. Loverenting

Loverenting Well-Known Member

7. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

Damn,

Thank you so much for confirmation.

It looks like I'm destined to a life of paying Stamp Duty.