First Home Buyer in Sydney (early 20s)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JJules, 17th Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JJules

JJules New Member

Hey everyone!

Firstly a quick intro - I'm in my early-mid 20s, and currently work in North Sydney and it takes me roughly around 1.5 hours to get to work via public transport, which is what 'triggered' my interest into looking and stepping my foot into the property market (to make my commute shorter). For reference, I've been looking at properties within the 700-750k range. This is all very new to me, so would love to hear any advice or critiques.

Initially, I was looking at the purchase being owner occupied. Whilst I intend on this purchase being my PPOR, I don't plan on it being my forever home. I guess the ideal plan would be to live in it for a few years until I am able to purchase a house in a suburb that also makes my commute easier.

I was first looking at new 1 bedroom apartments in Mascot, but then figured 2 bedroom apartments might be easier to rent out or sell in the long term. Since 2 bedroom apartments in Mascot and surrounding areas will be out of budget, I was looking at Parramatta and Lidcombe (convenient public transport). Does anyone have any opinions in terms of 1 bedroom vs 2 bedroom apartments? Another option would be to buy a 1 bedroom in Parramatta/Lidcombe which would be <600k and take advantage of the government schemes (no stamp duty and 10k & first home owner grant)

I've also been reading up on the rentvesting strategy many have talked about in this forum. I could also potentially buy a house further out and rent a place closer to the city.... haven't given this one too much thought yet, but would also love to hear your opinions from this angle.

:)

2. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

Not suggesting this is the right thing for you but you can get older 2 bedder apartments around Rockdale for around $600k mark. Direct trains from Rockdale to North Sydney.

JJules likes this.
  3. JJules

JJules New Member

Thanks Andy! I'll look into Rockdale :)

4. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Check out villas and townhouses in Parramatta satellite suburbs - direct train to the city.

5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Try...Meadowbank older units....you might just get in under 600k.

6. Kevbo

Kevbo Well-Known Member

Hornsby 2 bedder - good potential.

7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'm sorry but what direct train services are there from Rockdale to North Sydney?

8. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, my information was incorrect about direct trains to North Sydney from Rockdale. Still get 2 bedders for that price range but no direct trains to North Sydney

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

All good. I wondered if I was missing something :)