First home buyer in Brisbane - new developments

Discussion in 'Development' started by Sush, 1st Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sush

Sush Active Member

Hi all,
    As a First Home Buyer, I have started to look at my options to buy in Brisbane (preferable northern suburbs as wife works there). So, I am looking to get some advice on the following:

To receive the First Home Buyer Grant, are the following the only options available to me?
    1. New lots with house+land packages
    2. New townhouses (in estates)
    3 New off the plan apartments

I am not too keen on apartments. Am ok with townhouse (estate or freehold) and houses.

- Where can I find new lots of land+home packages (or townhouses) being released by the government? I have been keeping an eye on Realestate.com.
    - Any idea or advice on Terrace homes?

- Budget is around $350K - hoping to have at least 10% deposit by next year (keeping fingers crossed that the Grant still continues to next year) :)

- Also, with 10% deposit, will I have to still pay the insurance (LMI)?

Thanks for your help and advice in advance.

Cheers.

2. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

You'll need to pay LMI if you only have a 10% deposit. They generally add it into the amount mortgaged.

3. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Hi Sush

Welcome. Some of my clients have new small lots (300m2 ish) under development in Bracken Ridge - 20 odd lots but not sure how many left. Ground not broken yet but we just finalised the appeal to get the DA through.

Sush likes this.
  4. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

You may be better off forgetting the first home owners grant and buying an existing property.
    I think you will find the difference in capital gain will outweigh the $20000 before too long.

Propertunity and Sackie like this.
  5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Buy something second hand where you are not paying a premium well over the value of a grant for something brand new and shiney.

6. Sush

Sush Active Member

Yeah. I have realized it by now. But, at least I will be able to put in foot in the market and join the property bandwagon.

7. Sush

Sush Active Member

Hi RPI,
    Thanks for the kind info. I will email you separately and it would be great if you can share further details.

8. Sush

Sush Active Member

Yeah, that's a dilemma and something I am still considering. Thanks for your tip. :)

9. Sush

Sush Active Member

Thanks for the advice. Could you please elaborate a bit probably with an example from your experience?