first home buyer concessions for beneficiary of a trust

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by frecak, 27th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. frecak

frecak Active Member

like the title says, I live in a house, owned by a trust of which I am a beneficiary. The house is in the name of the trustee - not me. I've never owned a house, bought a house, held any pecuniary interest in a house.
    Therefore I don't see a problem if I applied for the first home buyer and land tax concessions from the NSW govt for a house in my name, paid for by me, as my PPOR. Am I right?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Probably ok.

See my thread in the legal section written in the last week or so.

3. frecak

frecak Active Member

Thanks terry. Another question. Land Tax. If a trustee buys the land and all the beneficiaries live on that land as thier PPOR - the trustee doesn't pay land tax.

Can a corporate trustee avail of this? It's a headache otherwise if the individual trustee moves/dies and the deed, etc needs to be transferred....

eg; in NSW, "if you own the home you live in through a trust* or company, you need to pay land tax if the land is owned by a company or owned jointly with a company; UNLESS the company is a ‘trustee company". *only some trust types.
    Exemptions and concessions tax exemptions.

The situation for QLD however is unclear. T'would appear that a corporate trustee is not possible.
    https://www.publications.qld.gov.au...-land-use-as-a-home-trustees-v10-july2019.pdf

4. Terry_w

is this a bare trust you are a beneficiary of?

5. frecak

frecak Active Member

Its hypothetical. Lets say a trust that isnt automatically disqualified from an exemption (discretionary trust for QLD or a unit trust for NSW)
    Is it relevant to corporate trustee eligibility?

6. Terry_w

No exemptions in nsw
    Except for a fixed unit trust with individual trustee