First development - 3 townhouses SE Melbourne

Discussion in 'Development' started by craigc, 15th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

@craigc can you draw with a highlighter or something where the boundaries are on ground floor for each lot? It seems to me that there are windows to garages on boundary and/or windows from other units onto POS neither of which would be compliant in WA - might be different in VIC but windows on a boundary wall are a big no no in the BCA unless they are glass blocks.

Anyway besides that I don't see a lot of improvement from the last version and if this was done by a professional Architectural firm I'd be asking for my money back.

Did this version of plans get bigger? I feel like these are bigger than the last version which will not help budget

Just quickly my bug bears are

Unit 1
    - I think the upstairs living room is too large. I'd much rather reduce the size of it and get the toilet out of the main bathroom and put it separately
    - I think the laundry window is on boundary
    - I think the dining room window is on boundary
    - I think the design would benefit from a pergola/alfresco off the living room

Unit 2
    - I think I'd flip the kitchen mirror image and have a door from kitchen to the laundry. That is a really nice big laundry and I'd probably market it into a scullery and laundry.
    - the upstairs living room is too large again compared to the size of the bedrooms. Maybe flip the main bathroom to the other end in the 2650mm section and put a larger bedroom where the bathroom is. Again maybe take the toilet out of the bathroom as you have plenty of space

Unit 3
    - master bedroom is smaller then minor bed 1
    - I wouldn't even bother having that area in front of the linen cupboard upstairs. Increase the ensuite out to the stairs and put a linen into the hallway (it's a hallway not a living room - this one is tiny)
    - I think the garage window is on boundary
    - I think the dining room looks to be about 2m wide - sorry no measurements so just guestimating with my eyes but it looks unuseable

Gforce likes this.
  2. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Hi Myf,

Thanks for your feedback.
    We can do windows to boundary - the ones into POS are highlight windows or similar to glass bricks as you mention.

The footprint has changed slightly with compliance issues to pass rescode. The main item being the SPOS for Unit 2 moved from the NW corner of the unit which was struggling to pass solar gain (sunlight) requirements to the NE corner of the unit which doesn't have the same constraints.

U1
    - We did have a separate toilet but found the rear beds were too small and have sacrificed this into the main bathroom to increase the rear beds from 2.8 to 3.2m deep. We discussed this with a number of REA's to come to this. Although currently drawn as 3.0 deep, additional 200mm to come from bath.
    -Laundry & dining windows are highlight as per above
    -Pergola/alfresco could be possible in our garden design but could not be covered to still meet the garden requirements % of space. A roofed/covered area is not considered acceptable as part of the garden %. We are considering a small timber deck area without a roof.

U2
    -Kitchen - that's a nice idea, what would the door lead into in the laundry? Would the scullery be like additional pantry space or similar?
    -Yes as mentioned above I'm not happy with the bed and bath layout. I think the 2650 you refer to is the 2850 width? I'm also thinking move the linen from inside bathroom space to the top of the staircase, although this mean the top of staircase would require a full height wall not the possibility of a 1/2 height wall. I do like the separate toilet idea but not sure where to place it?

U3
    -Good spot re master & bed1, that was not the case in last version but missed this in this iteration with revised bath & ensuite layouts. Will reconsider this for working drawings, maybe swap master & bed 1 around and make the bath the ensuite etc..
    -Yeah struggled a bit with this area, trying to get light into the area apart from the top of staircase window. I like the extended ensuite/bath idea as I think the space is a bit wasted at the moment.
    -Garage window highlight per previous
    -Dining is currently 2300, given living area is 4000 I think move kitchen approx. 500 to the rear into the living space.

Thanks again for having a look with your experienced eye.

3. Westminster

@Tufan Chakir can you confirm that in Vic you can put windows on a strata boundary? I didn't think the BCA would allow anything like that due to fire regulations but I have seen windows on boundary where it adjoins onto common property like a driveway - never seen windows been allowed to go on a boundary to a POS (regardless of highlight).
    Just curious for my own knowledge bank. Thanks!

4. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Myf, although you asked Tufan I went to another source who confirmed it is ok as long as the sill height is at least 1.7m.
    Cheers

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  5. Westminster

That is awesome. We don't have that ability in Perth but it's a great way to extra extra light and ventilation in

craigc likes this.
  6. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

A long awaited update - after first proposal had no objections but was rejected by council, new application was submitted late last year.
    Still 3 T/h’s but reduced size. All 3 bed, 1 car garage.
    Multiple RFI’s from council, changing then contradicting previous requested changes.
    Went to advertising in Jan 2019. Only 1 objection received but had little basis - he didn’t like any wall on boundary but it is compliant.
    Council planner assigned was finally overruled by a senior planner and council has finally issued a notice of decision.
    Result: Application approved with a minor correction (change setback on 1 upper bedroom) so we can continue to amend this & progress engineering drawings and move forward now.
    Will keep informed as the progress slowly ticks along.
    Melbourne will be booming again by the time this hits the market!o_O

kamster, Babesoft, The Y-man and 6 others like this.
  7. Westminster

How many additional grey hairs do you have now or did you just pull them all out in frustration??

momentum26 and lixas4 like this.
  8. Westminster

Originally your townhouses were much bigger. How has the decrease in bedrooms and garaging and the market affected your feaso?

9. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Thanks Myf, yes a lot of frustration but looks like finally getting some solid progress now. Probably just less hair now - might be going grey next week!
    As for feaso - build costs will be interesting when we put it out to builders - initial $/m2 may have been a bit optimistic but reduced size means costs expect to be pretty similar or maybe a little less.
    Sale prices will definitely have dropped due to market downturn and reduced size of end product.
    Realistic expect approx $560, $590 and $625 at current sale contract prices.
    Would be around 27% (after tax) return on costs or just over 20% on contract prices.
    Will see how how the tenders go with builders as a bit quieter now, this should also help the cost side of the project.

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If that's 20% return on total development costs, after tax and considering the current market there that's definitely not bad imo.

11. James Fortye

James Fortye Member

Hi Craig and All

could you help recommend a lawyer or solicitor in Melbourne who can review the building contract properly please? Im about to sign the contract but need some expert to read thru it first.

Appreciate your help

Thank you

12. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

20% is of total contracted sales prices, 27% of total development costs - hoping we can recover a bit more from the build tenders but will see how we go.
    Just waiting to confirm the time period has expired for the one objector is not going to challenge council decision at VCAT before final permit is issued.

The delay in project has hurt interest costs calcs but so far the lending is only internal (ie from directors). Still an opportunity cost for those $ but not payments outside the team so far.

Sackie likes this.
  13. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

Great stuff Craigc
    Councils certainly do help add Grey hairs.
    I have a 4 townhouse development in Melbourne’s east finally under construction after a few yrs similar to you with planning, vcat etc,

I’ll be interested to hear your quoted/contract construction costs....
    (I received a number of quotes, anyway, settled for 4 townhouses all 3/2/2 & 2nd living room upstairs my builder / construction costs ave out at a little over $300k ea), that’s just the build costs.
    I could only wish to get close to your projected build costs

14. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Keentolearn77, post: 7116
    I’ll be interested to hear your quoted/contract construction costs....
    (I received a number of quotes, anyway, settled for 4 townhouses all 3/2/2 & 2nd living room upstairs my builder / construction costs ave out at a little over $300k ea), that’s just the build costs.[/QUOTE]

$300k each for 4x 3 bed townhouse seems very exxy, is it on a steep block or very high spec or something unusual to be at that price?

15. JKWS

JKWS Well-Known Member

What is currently on the site? If it's a period home you can offer for relocation, there's a saving of almost 15k there.

PM if you have anymore questions :)

Tully likes this.
  16. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

A very small house, nothing of value and non period, early 80’s brick. Not much to salvage either.
    House to be demolished.

Sarafina likes this.
  17. RHK

RHK New Member

Hi There,

This is my first development project and was hoping to use your valuable experience to guide me through the journey. Our plans are with council for approval currently for 3 townhouses ( 3 br, 2 bath, 2 car -19sqs, 3 br, 3 bath, 2 car - 19 sqs and 2 br, 2 bath, 1 car -14 sq). Can you please advise what the build cost will be and any reasonable builders to approach for build costs?

Cheers!

18. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Good luck with council!
    You can probably PM me in a few years when you’re ready for builders and can advise you how ours went!
    Seriously though, message when closer and I’ll advise feedback.
    Will also depend on your market expectations (ie features for your market - high, medium or average specs), site costs - flat, hilly, rocky.
    Many others but will see how we go.

Onjie, Sarafina and Archaon like this.
  19. RHK

RHK New Member

Thanks, craigc, for your response. I am hoping it will be couple of months before we get the approval and then the engineering drawings etc. I wanted to start talking to builders to get the feel for the cost. Wanting to build medium spec house with intent to sell 2 and keep one as investment property.

20. Eleven

Eleven Well-Known Member

Aprox 850-900k.