First day live 2.5 months in the making

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by leon brown, 9th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

I made it to the checkout page and could not find the option to pay via Paypal anywhere.
    No choice but eWay was offered.
    Clicking on the Paypal icon didn't work either.
    Did I miss it somehow?

leon brown and Gockie like this.
  2. leon brown

leon brown Well-Known Member

Hi Ace, I have just gone with Eway and taking down Paypal icon now

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

You would have lost me as a customer for one. Probably many more. I wouldn't be bothered setting up an Eway account.

leon brown likes this.
  4. Ace in the Hole

Why?
    You will definitely lose sales if you don't offer PayPal.

5. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Eway is a payment gateway...

leon brown likes this.
  6. leon brown

Why? because Eway is extremely affordable and PayPal is such a rip especially when they charge for refunds and I know those fees will add up big time with my biz model/

Will i lose customers ? maybe, but I am finding a strong demand and I have had no complaints yet

Biz likes this.
  7. leon brown

No account registration required.

8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Put a higher price tag on your items then offer a small discount for Eway. You've covered all your bases then.

I hadn't heard of Eway, but I've used PayPal often. I couldn't be bothered signing up for another site just to buy a product from a single site. Many people will be like that.

Just because you haven't received complaints doesn't mean you haven't lost customers.

leon brown likes this.
  9. Ace in the Hole

How do Paypal charge for refunds, I'm not aware about that.
    Whenever we give refunds via PayPal we receive the sales fee back, which I think is about 0.8% for our turnover.

To be honest, I'd rather buy from a seller who offers PayPal as I usually can't be bothered opening my wallet read my CC number.
    Also, many buyers prefer the buyer protection offered with PayPal and are more willing to buy because of that.

Like Geoff said, people won't always give you feedback to why they didn't buy, they just leave.
    If you run an abandon cart service on your website, this will give you important feedback of why potential customers bailed without completing a purchase.

leon brown likes this.
  10. Ace in the Hole

I just checked our Paypal account to give you an example of our customers payment methods as an online seller.
    Close to 20% of revenue was paid via Paypal.
    The rest by, (in order of volume):
    SecurePay online, similar to your Eway.
    Credit Card over the phone and in store.
    Bank Deposit.
    Cash in store.
    Cheque.

I don't have the stats on all these other payment methods, but PayPal is pretty much on par with the other major payment methods, with cash being by far the lowest used method.
    I was wrong about the fees though, we are paying 1.6%, can pay less for a higher turnover and will be higher for lower turnovers.
    However, I believe it's very fair for the service provided.

leon brown likes this.
  11. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    A couple things for me. Beyond the cosmetic aspect of the site, the big question is: what's so special about these shoes?
    I can see the sole looks different, but what makes it different? Why is it more comfortable? I could find no explanation to this on your site - I am not going to buy a shoe if I do not know why or how it's different. Comfort is really something you need to feel, so it's already quite difficult when purchasing online: I think you should have a clear explanation with a couple of nice looking diagrams as to how it's more comfortable and why.
    Also, in my browser, when I am on your home page and I click on 'About Us' or 'Design and innovation' - nothing happens. It just does not link to anything. I am on mac with safari but get the same result with chrome.

I agree with the previous comments: maybe just take the time to iron these issues out before going all out on the marketing: if when people land on your site they encounter issues, they will not bother coming again later to check if things have been improved. I would also enable paypal (who cares about the fee if you make additional sales) and I can confirm the site is quite slow to load for me too.

Good luck, you are in the right track, just need a few adjustments :)

pommy likes this.