First Business - Laundromat

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Goosehead, 10th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Goosehead

Goosehead Well-Known Member

I have just noticed a laundromat in the local area for sale. The owner has given rough figures for how much he wants, and what he is making, not formally so I expect it to be different.

Questions is who would you go to to seek due diligence on the business? Accountant, Financial Planner, a conveyancer? I wouldn't know where to start to arrange finance and structure.

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You will need an accountant to verify the income and expenses are correct.

3. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

It is unlikely you will get finance on a laundromat, as a lease and a few $$ worth of washers and dryers are not good backing for a loan. Also the old adage of 80% of businesses close within 5 years is especially true of non controlled businesses where anyone can set up next to you, charge less than you and see you go under if you don't have 2 years future expenses saved before you enter the business.
    You would generally borrow against your property, to finance a viable business.

But more important than anything else is why would you be successful in this business if the current owner can not keep it run under management at a decent profit. What factors, skill or knowledge are you bringing in to the business?

One of the easiest ways of making huge profits is selling unviable businesses to others. This is the actual business model of dozens of nationally renown businesses that have been reported for the last few years in the papers. Become familiar with how this business model works.

I have friends who have bought pubs/nightclubs and restaurants turning over $X per annum for $X on the knowledge that they make a killing because they hide the cash under the table and its off the books so are earning 30% on TO. They buy to discover that they actually hid the payments not the receipts through a third party company and whilst the turnover was correct at $X the actual expenses rather than being 3/4X was 4/3X. They were losing money because of selling things on the cheap IE bringing in big name bands to inflate the turnover but paying them their fees through a third party company.

To succeed in a new business you must have
    Enough money to survive at least 18 months with little to no income,
    Some factor that no one else can perceive to introduce to the business,
    No borrowing repayments of any consequence compared to the worst case scenario of operating the business,
    Have an exit strategy for getting out of the business quickly, medium turn and long term.
    Understand all the risks eg insurances, labour costs, future potential, length of lease, portability, time constraints, accounting, taxation, patience and family support.

If you need to know how to finance a small business and you dont have decent equity in your home, then STOP HERE. Learn everything before you venture into a business.

If you dont understand the difference between operating expenses being 4/3 of turnover or 3/4 of turnover then stay in a job.

If you were not the best employee by far at where you worked and did not take on more work than you were given and turned up every single day without fail and occasionally turned up on days that you didn't need to..then owning your own business is not for you.

So many of my friends, saw my success and ventured into a business without considering the consequences of losing everything, sometimes just their home and car but worse was their wife and family or their lives due to the depression that sets in.

I may be brutally honest, but its better than being told "Why didnt anyone warn me?"

Last edited: 10th Nov, 2019
    Padron, Lak, oracle and 27 others like this.
  4. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Agree with everything you said except this bit.
    Thats a bit of a far stretch

Car tart likes this.
  5. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

Might be.

But try calling in sick if you’re a one man operation.

Marg4000, Cousinit, NHG and 1 other person like this.
  6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

If I were to buy the laundromat I'd be working in the business side by side with the current owner to see how much they're really making.

You'd probably need to work for a month and it would need to be over school holidays as well.

I think you need to find out why the owners are really selling. Are they washed up?

Cousinit, Beano, charttv and 2 others like this.
  7. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Op what is your work situation? Are you an employee looking for a business? Are you expecting to work at the business yourself or intending to stop after a while?

8. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Is it just a customer walk in type where they do their own laundry or where the owner will do most of the work and can pick up extra work from short term holiday rentals when they do linen changes.

9. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

I'd imagine OP is looking at it as a passive opportunity, rather than something you'd need to be sitting in customer facing 24/7?

If you're buying it as a leasehold business then a lend is going to be expensive (unsecured). If you're asset backed with equity this will be a much cheaper way to fund. Either way your first inquiry should be with your accountant in regards to structure and assisting with DD.

10. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I think people adjust their attitude pretty quickly,
    What i mean is often before they buy the business they are thinking of doing 4 hrs per day, plus sick leave, plus annual leave, plus time in lieu, plus public holidays, plus birthday holiday, weekends off, christmas off,
    but reality sets in very quick;y:), especially if they are opening the shop up!

Car tart and alicudi like this.
  11. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

As an non motivated (or if you feel under appreciated in an organisation) you will call sick at any opportunity while as a business owner your well motivated not to call sick and excel in what your doing

TMNT likes this.
  12. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Unless you really are sick.

13. gerege

gerege Well-Known Member

Pimpama laundry mat?? If so I checked it out a couple weeks a go it’s in a bad area with way to high rent. There’s another larger laundry mat around the corner. Frankly it’s had to much spent on set up in a shop where the rents to high with yearly increases I wouldn’t touch it, you want a business that makes money from day one.

14. Goosehead

Thanks for the information, plenty of things to consider. FYI it is a self serve type where customer use change to pay for laundry and wash it themselves. Owner has suggested attendance of twice a week to clean and check so minimal time but I would probably visit more regularly. The work would be for my partner, stay at home mum and just finished Uni.

Car Tart, thanks for all the background considerations. These are the main reasons for considering the opportunity. I have worked in government my career. However have a lot of mates that have small business that have learnt the lessons you have described. This would seem a relatively safe opportunity compared to some other options.

15. Goosehead

Hi mate, it's actually in St Agnes, a little centre off smart road.

16. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Just up the road from my office.

17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

So you're a regular?

18. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Haha never used it, don't know where it is - but know St Anges and Smart Rd...

19. lettert

lettert Well-Known Member

@Goosehead - what a case of grass being greener! I run a business and would happily trade with you.

And, I'm fortunate that (knock wood) my business does pretty well. It's all the stress, the fear, the early years of self-doubt and minimum profits, etc - even though I earn quite well I would probably trade that for a lower paycheck, easier work, and less stress. Not to mention, paid time off and sick leave. Oh, and maternity leave or paternity leave.

James_w and Goosehead like this.
  20. James_w

James_w Well-Known Member

seek advice from an accountant to check over figures check lease and age of machines they are expensive to replace. In saying that we should of bought 5 laundromat instead of salons with employees :)

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia