Fire separation wall, is this compliant wall?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Paco98, 29th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paco98

Paco98 Member

Hi all, I'm trying to find out if this wall is compliant as fire separation wall.

The wall is on boundary, next to it will be a carport as per plan below

[​IMG]

I had Building Inspector came last week and in his report it says :

The fire separation to the Garage boundary walls at the gutter has not been installed tight to the colorbond flashing, which in itself is not a fire-rated material and does not provide fire separation in its own right

[​IMG]

Part 3.7.1 Fire Separation of the NCC/BCA, Part 3.7.1.3 External walls of Class 1 buildings, requires that ‘An external wall of a Class 1 building, and any openings in that wall, must comply with 3.7.1.5 if the wall is less than 900 mm from an allotment boundary other than the boundary adjoining a road alignment or other public space; or 1.8 m from another building on the same allotment other than an appurtenant Class 10 building or a detached part of the same Class 1 building’.

The NCC/BCA Deemed-to-Satisfy (DTS) provisions for External Walls on Boundaries includes four diagrams indicating acceptable construction methods (Figure 3.7.1.3).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is important to note that figure 3.7.1.3 (c) does not permit a gap to be provided between the underside of the gutter, the flashing or brickwork.

The present construction will need to be modified to provide the required fire separation to this boundary wall.

But when I sent email to our Building Surveyor and asked, he said that the wall is ok as long as there's brickworks beneath the capping and to have the builder to fire seal any opening or gaps.

So I am bit confused here, who is right, the BI or BS or both?
    I really appreciate any comment or suggestion on this. Should I insist the builder to fix it or just fire seal the small gap?

Thanks guys.

2. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

The brickwork should run to the underside of the gutter in this case. That white flashing definitely isn't compliant.

This is pretty lazy construction. Your barge also looks TERRIBLE - who rakes a fascia? Why not just run 2x CFC sheets and a typical barge board over?

3. Paco98

Paco98 Member

Thanks Aaron Sice. I will talk to the builder again.

Yup, we are not happy with the roof work, they look rough and untidy. The edge of the ridge also look very untidy. They said they will fix it.

[​IMG]

JHC likes this.
  4. boeman

boeman Well-Known Member

Apologies but that is absolute garbage from the builder.

5. Aaron Sice

That's some fugly sheet right there.

Looks like a poorly thought out detail, or simply not detailed at all.

Also WTF is going on with your mortar?

6. Aaron Sice

Here's how you typically resolve this detail.

That eave should have been popped up to match, with a fly-over the eave beyond.

Brickwork up underside the boundary wall.
    20181129_170214.jpg

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

That must have a late Friday afternoon job,and with the way that downpipe has been cut and unsealed and too lazy to use more rivets ---the first storm and strong winds ---wacko---..

8. Paco98

Paco98 Member

Thanks for the picture, I've been looking a picture to show the builder.

9. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

Looks like the downpipe etc is not yet fixed well so it can be removed easily to give the bricks an acid wash/clean (I hope that's not finished brickwork)
    Looks like your typical finishes from your typical volume builders. Notice a heap,of this detail/finish in a lot of their designs.

It's funny, you look at an area built pre 1950s, the period homes of now were volume homes of then, yet they seemed to have workmanship, better materials and tradesman working on them/building them.
    The volume built homes of today look like a sausage factory on a subdivision.

10. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Sorry to be negative but that work could not have been done by tradesman really, looks like unskilled labourers employed by the builder I would say and with no supervision. Hope you can get a satisfactory solution all round.

11. JHC

JHC Member

Are you able to disclose who the builder is?