NSW Fire alarm compliance $99/year

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Zenith Chaos, 13th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How do you know that you have installed these in accordance the BCA requirements?

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

It is an issue as I have found.....

It is not always 100 and if you x 100 for eg x multiples, it is no longer nothing yoo sneeze at.

Professionals may be a stretch, I know quite a few who have gone into the business, would not let them feed my pets TBH

But for me, it is more so the lies, pressure, mis information and poor excuses PMs give. If they were straight up, it would not be something that caught my attention when this stuff all started.

PS..as a PM, you prob have more of a target on you than anyone, but what I meant by business owners headache, is the admin burden....not the liability, which I doubt any PM escapes anyway, no matter what, you can bet if something happens...the owner wont be the only one answering questions.

R.C. likes this.
  3. R.C.

R.C. Well-Known Member

Because I have attained a reasonable level of English literacy and comprehension. I am able to read, understand, and follow basic instructions while also being competent using a ladder and a screwdriver.

Somehow Scott, I get the impression that question was more of an attempt to make this issue more complicated than it need be and/or to extend this discussion into an unnecessary debate. Regardless, I will offer a sincere reply and further explanation that may add some value to this thread.

The Building Code of Australia (BCA) is produced and maintained by the Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB) on behalf of the Commonwealth Government and each State and Territory Government. The BCA is a uniform set of technical provisions for the design and construction of buildings and other structures throughout Australia.

The BCA is given legal effect by building regulatory legislation in each State and Territory. This legislation consists of an Act of Parliament and subordinate legislation which empowers the regulation of certain aspects of buildings and structures, and contains the administrative provisions necessary to give effect to the legislation.

Any provision of the BCA may be overridden by, or subject to, State or Territory legislation. The BCA must therefore be read in conjunction with that legislation.

The relevant sections of the code are:
    3.7.2 Smoke alarms
    3.7.2.1 Application
    3.7.2.2 Requirements for smoke alarms
    3.7.2.3 Location - Class 1a buildings
    3.7.2.4 Location - Class 1b buildings
    Explanatory information - Smoke alarms

Easy to Google anyway, but here is an extract:
    https://dhs.sa.gov.au/__data/.../building-code-of-australia-2010-v2-smoke-alarms.pdf
    Current version only has an additional diagram.

Hard wired & interconnected alarms are further covered by the SAA Wiring Rules but will obviously fall outside the scope of DIY`s.

Since the BCA stipulates “Any provision of the BCA may be overridden by, or subject to, State or Territory legislation. The BCA must therefore be read in conjunction with that legislation.” It is preferable to refer to the relevant legislation in the applicable state.

https://papworthsecurity.com.au/wp-content/.../ASIAL-Smoke-Alarm-Legislation.pdf

Gee, that doesn`t appear too difficult to follow. Neither are the directions included along with the alarm. I have also found that the local fire brigade was more than willing to offer their professional advice, when asked to clarify placement for unusual locations, and offered to book a home visit to advise - for free - all covered by my taxes and ESL.

Incidentally, how many of these “trained smoke alarm personnel” have an electrical licence authorising them to fit / replace/ relocate 240V alarms?

Furthermore, as the legislation varies in different states and according to the age or ownership of the dwelling; has anyone here who subscribes to one of these services ever been asked the age or purchase date of the property?

dabbler and bunkai like this.
  4. dabbler

Yeah, I have experienced this, and the ****ing PM could not be bothered calling the company back and organising the bill for the tenant.

This is a common problem and the PM staff are not as vigilant as many PMs would be here doing the job themselves.

There is members here that no doubt know what they are doing, but have had staff do the wrong thing....

Liability ??? Not mine.....you can bet on that.

And who in the right mind thinks it is ok for tenants to manipulate such things if your paying a yearly fee....bejesus....

Last edited by a moderator: 8th Aug, 2019
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

There are plenty of fastidious DIYers who simply replace the detector in the same location as it always has been. If it was incorrectly installed 20 years ago, it has since been replaced incorrectly twice over. Some of the state legislation has changed over the years and that includes the location and types of detectors which may be installed.

Glad to see that you are on top of it.

6. dabbler

Gee, your kinda smashing the mirrors and clearing the smoke....

But...

Do you have that get out of gaol free compliance certificate many PMs bleat on over ?

7. R.C.

R.C. Well-Known Member

Exactly. Don`t mind being called a tight *** here, but to me it means losing a good week in Bali (or somewhere nice) every year just for some kid on minimal wages to push a button. NO THANKS!

QUOTE="dabbler, post: 725657, member: 217"]But for me, it is more so the lies, pressure, mis information and poor excuses PMs give. If they were straight up, it would not be something that caught my attention when this stuff all started.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. My initiation into this "service" was an email from PM principle telling me I had "automatically been opted into" an expense I never asked for. Good way to P their clients off IMO. I did actually consider it but in practice would not have been of much benefit at the time.

This was some years ago, I complied with the law, new 9V battery at commencement, alarm tested & complied. It was tenant`s responsibility to replace as per RTA. Silly old B kept taking the battery out to put in his remote or whatever. So dumb, he had the alarm sitting on table with no battery at an inspection. How would a smoke alarm service deal with that?

Therefore, for much less than the first year`s cost, started upgrading to the 10 year sealed battery alarms. Solved the battery issue anyway and nothing will stop compulsive smokers removing or hacking the alarms, until they are evicted.

8. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

upload_2019-8-8_0-39-35.png

Scott No Mates and Dan Wood like this.
  9. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Stupid as it sounds I have been in remote accommodation rooms and seen glad-wrap over the smoke detectors where a previous occupant was a smoker

upload_2019-8-8_4-51-0.png

Michael Mitchell and Dan Wood like this.
  10. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

Oh god there's even a wikiHow on it.

11. dabbler

Happens quite a bit.

And then when things go wrong, new legislation that burdens LLs and PMs further....

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Jul, 2020
  12. AgentOrangeGuice

AgentOrangeGuice New Member