NSW Fire alarm compliance $99/year

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Zenith Chaos, 13th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

I agree that it makes sense for QLD under the current regime.

I do use one of the services (not in QLD) but they have very reasonable fees for new units and provide a 10 year warranty on devices which caps the outlay.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  2. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

bunkai - if you think your Agent cares more about collecting some reward points than protecting yours and their liability re: compliance etc, time for a new Agent.

wylie likes this.
  3. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Dear @MM - why all the guilt?

The agents can have it all - they can care about reward points AND my/their liability ! :)

Would be nice to get a visa card or holiday points tho. Wonder how that would be taxed.

4. Michael Mitchell

[​IMG]

wylie and Scott No Mates like this.
  5. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

You can always take a photo of new battery and photo of smoke detector expiry date and email property manager.

This should prove this was done.

I guess it also depends if your rent is $250 than $100 inspection is 60% of the weeks rent.

Its its $1000 per week its 10% of a weeks rent.

Also do you live next to your IP?

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Take it to fair trading - non-disclosure of commissions is an offence under the NSW PSBAA IIRC. Do you have the evidence to prove this is the case?

No, it will show that you have an expiry date on a non-descript smoke detector on a white background. You might need to put in a geo-location from a satellite positioning system as well. (A contractor which I used recently had to resend some photos to claim the incentives providing details of an A/C unit, serial number and gps location data).

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've had our smoke alarm company attend three times in one year. Once they checked the alarm and there was a hold up and 30 days went by before the new lease was signed. So they came out twice within 40 days. That's a lot of trips I've saved, lugging a ladder over to our houses. Money well spent IMO.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

upload_2019-8-6_9-34-41.png

bunkai and Michael Mitchell like this.
  9. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Are these properties in QLD?

I'm hesitant to even engage in this as it is the same arguments over and over since the dawn of time. What I will say is that every time the position is pushed that it is all to do with agents getting a kickback or commission tells me one thing for certain - those people have never run a rent roll. If the government turned around tomorrow and said "we are scrapping smoke alarm laws it is now all on the tenant you don't have to do anything" there would be a party in every PM office in the country! I do not know a single agent that gives a flying rats backside about reward points or holiday vouchers when it comes to smoke alarms. That is not, as you suggest, based on some altruistic position. It is based on the fact it is a disproportionate administrative burden that any agent would be glad to be rid of.

But alas, that is not the case, so we try and find the best solution that protects all parties and provides the best value. There is absolutely no way we could even come close to doing this internally at the price that the dedicated smoke alarm companies charge.

- Luke

10. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

around the country

11. MyPropertyPro

Fair enough. An annual check in QLD does not necessarily mean you are meeting your obligations.

- Luke

wylie and Michael Mitchell like this.
  12. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Not all to do - I haven't seen anyone say that in this thread. All that has been pointed out is that the advice from the agents is not necessarily without bias in terms of remuneration.

You and @MM probably include a note stating you receive no benefit from these services and it is your recommendation to subscribe?

That would solve the problem.

13. MyPropertyPro

We don't have to say anything because we don't receive anything.

A lot has been made out of one particular company in Queensland offering "rewards" to PMs. This is the exception not the rule.

- Luke

14. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Here is another one :

Rewards

@Luke - not suggesting that you are participating nor any agents you know but some agents are taking an undisclosed benefit on the back of a genuine need (smoke detectors). You don't have to defend the "bad eggs"

15. MyPropertyPro

Thanks for clarifying I did not take it as personal slight. That part I can agree with. I am sure there are some agents not disclosing this. In fairness though, your application and comments (as below) did not qualify that it may be "some agents" or some "bad eggs". There is also some change from being sold (side note - we don't sell it to you) based on "fear" compared to as above based on a "genuine need". I was only responding to what had been written thus far.

Again I can only respond to what was written at the time. There are a lot people that read these forums and when they read "when the agent gets a kickback/commission" with no qualification it is probably fair for them to assume that this is common practice, and just reiterates the frankly ridiculous proposition that the agent receiving kickbacks or commissions is one of the reasons agents utilise these companies. It isn't.

Fair enough and that has been qualified which is good. Again though, it is important I think to make the distinction between bias towards using a particular company as opposed to the advice to utilise an external smoke alarm company being inherently biased. I don't know of any agency that doesn't utilise (maybe not exclusively) an external provider. Of course they should declare if they receive a benefit, but they are going to recommend somebody to the owner even if there is no benefit.

- Luke

16. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

With travel generally not being claimable by the ATO unless an actual business, I wonder how you would go on these 'compliance trips' o_O

bunkai and Michael Mitchell like this.
  17. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

No one is arguing that often it is a solution that works best, nor that it can be a good choice, say like in QLD with many changes and if you live in Mexico...

But OP asked if you can do it yourself, in NSW, and the answer is yes, that is an alternative, I even have PMs that do it still, but they try and BS you into making it seem like it is mandatory to use one of these companies, and that is simply a load of hogwash.

With all the fear mongering though, is it any wonder it has become a dominant topic and debated etc...

I hate it, or despise the angle that makes out you must do it, because a business owner wants to feel at ease by passing this headache package legislated onto others...but I have no grudge when it is put as an option or suggestion, only because I am aware of things.

18. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

some agents even send out a "we havent heard back from you, re: smoke alarms letter, it is very important bla bla bla, you need to reply to this letter/email within 14 days or else you wont be covered" type emails,

obviously an agenda

Redwing likes this.
  19. Michael Mitchell

The wonder is why it is ‘such an issue’ when it is generally less than a $100pa cost of doing business expense to have an expert do it for you.

But it’s not the business owners headache, it is always the Lessors lol, it’s no skin off the Agents nose if the property is not compliant and they’ve discharged their obligations and all roads now lead to the Lessor who’s holding the can...

20. R.C.

R.C. Well-Known Member

Obviously this whole matter is a contentious issue. While the facts are legislated in each state, opinions from different landlords will vary according to their beliefs, abilities, and overall costs Vs benefits.

There`so right or wrong way, providing the applicable legislation for each state is followed. It is not rocket science for those of average intelligence with a little research effort or even advice from the local fire station. Many people feel more comfortable paying for a qualified electrician to change a bayonet lightbulb or plumber`s fees for a tap washer. Others are happy and capable to DIY themselves and spend the money elsewhere.

The problems I have had over the years at different properties is tenants removing batteries, sometimes constantly; removing the alarms, and sabotaging the sealed 10 year battery alarms even - yes, 4 alarms in one house over a 2 year period. Guess if tenants waste so much money on weed, then $50 per inspection for replacement alarms is a small sum to pay, before lease is not renewed!
    Do these alarm companies cover that?
    Do they do weekly inspections and replace deliberately vandalised units?
    Is there any better insurance or butt covering method for DH tenants that may burn the house down anyway than good landlord insurance?

Personally I am one of the DIY crowd and have found it easiest and most cost effective to simply install photoelectric alarms with a 10 year life sealed lithium battery for properties in SA & NSW. However with the tight QLD legislation it is undoubtedly easier & cheaper to simply pay the $100 fee.

For NSW & SA though, I have already saved almost 1K per property by installing these, install & expiry dates documented & photographed. So simple to push the test button every inspection with a short stick. Also to run the vacuum over the holes at every commencement, even though dust rarely settles UP on the ceiling.

smoke1.jpg

smoke2.jpg

smoke3.jpg

TMNT and Michael Mitchell like this.