Education & Work Finland Education Success

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 5th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

In Finland ..... the best school is the closest school and this will be a Public school, if only Australia had the same education system

This is why Finland has the best schools

11 Ways Finland’s Education System Shows Us that “Less is More”.

Our system has a very narrow view on success and in turn not helping our kids

Finland school model/system works and the evidence stacks up, teachers are most highly respected professionals, wont be the case in Australia. We are getting it wrong here.

MTR

Phase2 and TerryN like this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They are respected here too (in the private school system). They are promoted on merit not longevity in the system. Undertake cocurricular activities without expectation of additional remuneration.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

who says so?

KayTea likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Most private schools have a stricter discipline code, higher expectations and dress code.

I noticed a gigantic leap between the public system and independent school systems so far.

5. Obsidian

Obsidian Well-Known Member

I watched 60 Minutes as well. The Finland teachers are also required to get education to Masters level.
    Here, you have a degree, and even those degrees, have much lower entrance scores, then most professions. In some unis, someone who barely passed yr12 themselves, can go on and do low ATAR entry Education degree, to "teach" the next generation

legallyblonde, luckyone and MTR like this.
  6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

7. Obsidian

Yes, if only Australua had the same education system.
    The private schools value teachers and education standards. In public schools, the education unions fight every attempt to lift teacher standards.
    How many teachers would be left in Australia were they held to the same rigor and standard as teachers in Finland. Requirement for a Masters Degree. In Finland teachers are values like Layers and Doctors, precisely because in Finland like those professions, the top 10% of students make it into a teaching degree and masters.
    Here, a 60 barely passed ATAR will get you into a teaching degree at some universities.

Don't cherry pick the bits out of the Finland system that suit your argument. Teacher stardards are the difference. In Australia, its all about throwing more and more money at schools. Rudd thowing money and school buildings worked well ( not!!).

8. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Teachers are not valued or respected by some people in Australia. You get a few bad apples, like every profession, but there are a lot of intelligent, dedicated and hard-working teachers out there.

KayTea likes this.
  9. Obsidian

Doesn't matter if teachers are good or not. It's the public school system that people in part don't respect in Australia. Full of lefty, feelgood , give everyone a gold star types.
    Thats why Australia is behind other countries.
    If you compared Finland to the private school system with higher standards, you would find private schools are on par on education standards.
    The education department is just full of the Green voting types.

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Another problem is the fact that teachers that work in public schools will never get sacked, they have a job for life.
    How does this system work? not too good. From my experience when my children were at primary school most teachers were sick of their jobs and it showed by their attitude to the children and their poor classroom interaction. Our system is flawed to start with, does not matter how much money you throw at it, we need to start with a system which rewards good teachers and gets rid of the rotten eggs.

Ted Varrick, Phase2 and luckyone like this.
  11. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

So true. Our whole education system is getting worse, child-care has to be a structured education program now if you want to receive any govt rebates, 3-4 y.o's being forced into full-days of school, 4-5 y.o's doing 5 full days/week, doing reading and writing and maths and HOMEWORK!!?? What the hell happened to playdough and painting? Learning through play??

Now it's all NAPLAN prep and bullsh!t. :mad::rolleyes:

bob shovel and luckyone like this.
  12. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

I would assume parental expectations would also be different in Finland. What values are they instilling in their children before they attend school, and throughout their school life and beyond?
    Ask some of the public school teachers how much parental support they receive when they try and make a difference with these kids. There was a teacher in Ballarat who won a sum of money on a TV game show and she said she was going to use it to buy school shoes for her students. A big company stepped in and all students at that school received a pair of shoes.

MTR likes this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

That's a nice story.

Parental expectations? not sure whether Finland would be any different to Australia and it would vary dependent on background etc.

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

15. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

the main man in charge of the curriculum seems a worry going by the 60min interview!!:eek: skip to about the 11min mark

16. trailtrekker

trailtrekker Member

Not sure how many of the 'job for life' teachers are left in the public system now.

Although mine is but one story, there aren't too many full-time teachers at the local public primary school my youngest child attends. Most are on temporary contracts. Some of them are new to teaching, others have quite a few years experience as casual teachers.They are obviously cheaper labour and it shows, unfortunately. Quite a few don't deserve to have their contracts renewed that's for sure ... but I'm sure they will ... simply because they're cheaper. Shame.

*I've been lurking this site for a while now and never thought my first post would be on education.

MTR likes this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Good first post ....

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia