Finishing Building Costs

Discussion in 'Development' started by Caleb, 25th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Caleb

Caleb Member

Hi all, a quick question about some experience some have with builds.
    Minus land purchase, stamp duty, house costs, what are other finishing costs of building?
    I am looking at around 160m² internal size. I have an exclusions list from builder such as; floor coverings, light fittings, air con, driveway etc.

Does anyone have a rough idea or something relative for me to read? This is looknig to be a 4bed, 2 bath house.
    Thanks,

2. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

It depends on the level of specification. Site costs are the main variable.

You can use this calculator to work it out. This gives you turnkey costs excluding GST but including floor coverings, landscaping, driveway, etc.

Construction Cost Calculator & App | BMT Tax Depreciation

Assuming a Sydney build at medium spec construction cost is in the $279k to $308k range ( 4 bedroom, brick-veneer, single-level ).

This thread might also give you an idea since in many cases, build costs can be much less than the BMT estimates, particularly if it is a smallish builder or a shelf design.

Construction cost / sqm thread

3. Caleb

Caleb Member

Appreciate it. I'll take a look through and see if it covers what I am looking at.
    It's a local builder in my area where COL is relatively low.
    Thanks

4. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

If you are in a country area, build prices aren't likely to be as competitive - unless they're struggling for work.

Be careful with due diligence on the builder to make sure their existing builds continue without excessive delays. Try and talk to people that have built with them, or better still some of their trades. If the tradies are being paid without problem the builder may be okay.

5. Caleb

Caleb Member

I'm from one of those towns where everyone knows everyone. If a builder is doing the dodgy then they are out of business in no time. We have two major builders with some smaller owner/builders around.

A few companies I'm looking at have won HIA awards. Also the big builders here are willing to travel at an extra cost, of course.

Perthguy likes this.
  6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

If siteworks is included by the builder and it is standard finishing like - tiling, carpets, air con, window furnishing, paving, landscaping etc it can be done for around $40-60k. That is if you stick to not expensive tiles!!

If you were thinking wooden floors then it's going to be more etc