Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Fined for not voting at interstate IP council election?

Discussion in 'General Property Chat' started by Lawry, 13th Sep, 2016.

1. Lawry

Lawry Member

Hi, I ignored/ overlooked some correspondence about a council election in NSW where we have an IP, 'cos I am in Vic and thought it was just for info/ didn't apply to me.

Now I'm re-reading the latest letter and it seems that even though I've owned the IP for about 7 years and never had to vote before, they've decided now I 'must' vote.

But I missed the deadlines to 1. register as an absent/ distance voter and then 2. submit a pre-election postal vote ('cos they don't accept electronic votes).

So it looks like I'll get fined for not voting.

Does anyone have any experience or expert advice on whether a resident of Vic has to vote in a NSW council election because they own an IP there?

Do I just suck it up and pay the fine (if issued) or can i argue my way out of it?

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Exclusive Real Estate Buyers Agent Business Member

Just plead insanity :p

You probably won't get fined for not voting as you were not on the roll (and therefore ineligible) but you might get fined for not registering on the electoral roll, which is a requirement in local government elections. This applies in states like New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania, where "eligible voters" includes people who do not live in the council area but who own or rent property or have a business in the area. This is based on paying rates to the council..

Last edited: 13th Sep, 2016
    Lawry likes this.
  3. bumskins

bumskins Well-Known Member

It's only $55.00. Just forget about it.

Lawry likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I thought only residents could vote.

5. Propertunity

Propertunity Exclusive Real Estate Buyers Agent Business Member

Different set of rules for local govt. elections. Take Sydney for example - businesses can vote if they have a premise there and presumably individual owners of the business can also vote where they live in the 'burbs. So an individual gets 2 x votes!
    McDonald's gets to vote for Sydney's lord mayor
    Weird I know.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Propertunity - residents as opposed to absentees.

I don't have an issue with business having a vote, many retail tenancies occupy more space than residential users.

7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I'd write to them and say that I didn't get the first letter. It isn't really lying since they didn't communicate clearly enough to you that you were supposed to read it all the way to the end. Tell them you live in another state and ask if you can be excused from the fine.

Lawry likes this.
  8. Gockie

Gockie I'm an ISTP-A female, so I might be a bit quirky! Premium Member

I specifically went over to Sydney city to vote. When I got there and found the polling station I found I wasnt on the roll. All that effort to go there for nothing. Devastated. :(
    But happy Clover Moore got back in with a large swing towards her even with all the changes :)

9. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent Business Member

Investors in some of the Vic regionals are eligible to vote in council elections.

10. Glorion

Glorion Well-Known Member

I don't know about you, but in my religion I'm not allowed to vote and have informed them in my response that Under s 245(14) of the Electoral Act or s 45(13A) of the Referendum Act that i am not required to vote, and therefore not accepting the fine.

Although this only happened to me once, I converted for the federal election and was able to vote ;)

chindonly likes this.
  11. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Ignore it.

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Just pay it and get it over with if they fine you. Pretty cheap lesson.

13. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

I totally forgot it. I guess they will send me a fine too.

14. Gockie

Gockie I'm an ISTP-A female, so I might be a bit quirky! Premium Member

My colleague thought she could vote on Sunday. She saw the booths open but instead went shopping. As always. Lol. The reason why she thought still could do it on Sunday was because she passed a prepolling booth for a whole week, so she thought she could vote anytime Saturday or Sunday.

This is the same individual who had no idea oranges have segments. When I peeled it with my fingers she was wondering how I was going to eat it.
    #cleverwoman

Lawry likes this.
  15. Tools

Tools Active Member

I got fined for not voting in my local council election a few years back. I wrote in and told them I didn't know the election was being held (which was true) and they waived the fine.

Tools

Lawry likes this.