VIC Finding tenants in Melbourne inner (apartment)

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Frenchie, 26th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Frenchie

Frenchie Well-Known Member

Hi

Tenants are leaving my 2br apartment IP in Melbourne inner North. Not a dogbox high-rise - it has been rented by professional couples before.

Agent is recommending that I drop asking rent from 550pw to 450pw to find someone quick. Seems a lot to me but perhaps I didn't realise how bad the market was? Checking on Domain most comparable flats are in the region of 470-520 but some have been on the market for several weeks.

Is that reasonable, and had anyone dropped rent that much in Melbourne with good results?

2. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

During covid last year I had tenants break lease mid contract because I believe they saw bargains out there. Place then sat empty for 6 weeks. Discounted by 25% to 2012 prices and finally found tenants. Prices look to have risen by 5 to 10% since back to 2015 levels.

3. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

I had to drop the combined rents on my Docklands dual key from $740 ($440+$300) to $550 ($300+$250) but it stayed occupied so was worth the pain.

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Had to drop significantly in mid-outer north - prop was vacant for over 5 weeks, and only got an enquiry when we dropped it below competitors.

The Y-man

5. Frenchie

Frenchie Well-Known Member

Thanks, so 20% drop is not that bad and I should be below the competition...